Two steps to objects internal surface nodes

Started by Kadri, April 15, 2018, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

There are probably older threads about this, but i couldn't find any.

When you want to work with the surfaces of imported objects you have to go two steps to get to the internal surface nodes.
The internal objects does have only one step (haven't tried all)  for their internal surface nodes.

Not one of the important problems, but when you begin to have many imported objects, it begins to make the workflow slower.
Curious is there a serious handicap from a software side or could this be easily changed to have only one step?

luvsmuzik

It is the tree type folder system done in material assignment, I can't think of a way around it. But I do know it is tedious. :)

luvsmuzik

i don't know if the whole UI is designed with something similar to MS Acess using macros for the control boxes? One solution could be an option to expand all for the object tree, to see all of the items in the node network , but with current UI design limits, that would involve a lot of scrolling. That is why I use the node network more for editing.

sboerner

You might be able to set up all of your surface shader networks in the main (top-level) node window, then link to them from the objects' internal networks. That way you'd have to visit the object's internal network only once, to establish the links. Theoretically, anyway.

It would make it simple to share shaders across objects and you wouldn't be at risk of deleting them accidentally when objects are replaced. (Done that a few times.  :( ) The shader networks could be put in a "Materials" group or some such . . . think Hypershade if you're a Maya user.

I started messing around with this kind of arrangement but never followed through. Seems like it would take a lot of discipline but it might be worth the effort.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 15, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
i don't know if the whole UI is designed with something similar to MS Acess using macros for the control boxes? One solution could be an option to expand all for the object tree, to see all of the items in the node network , but with current UI design limits, that would involve a lot of scrolling. That is why I use the node network more for editing.

I just go to the Edit internal network arrow and into the parts shader and open that up and tickety boo all the parts are there...easy as pi...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 15, 2018, 04:45:18 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 15, 2018, 02:10:32 PM

I just go to the Edit internal network arrow and into the parts shader and open that up and tickety boo all the parts are there...easy as pi...

Yes I usually use that method too, bobby. Awhile back someone asked about the possibility of resizing/expanding the left side frame of the object window as I recall. When you have more "stuff" that can be near impossible to manipulate. :)

Kadri

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 15, 2018, 04:45:18 PM

That is the two step i wrote Bobby. With the internal Terragen objects
you only have to click "Edit internal network" arrow and you are there.
A basic workaround of course is to copy the internal surfaces to the outside
(fully if you want or one step higher to the parts shader etc.) like Sboerner said already.
But this involves still one more unneeded steps.

Dune

You could set up every object this way. Easier for future changes. But that's quite some work too.

Kadri

Yes that was what i was trying to say too Ulco (pictures are always better to show :) ). This should be default really.

Dune

Yes, but I don't think it can be changed now, as all older objects use the 'old' way.