Windows 10 mandatory updates and long rendering

Started by Denis Sirenko, April 16, 2018, 05:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on April 18, 2018, 01:28:35 PM
News to me.  :)

Hehe, guess there'll always be proponents and detractors. :D My experience with them is pretty bad. It's nice to hear though that it works alright for you.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Seth

Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to 'Automatic'

Option 2: Group Policy Editor

This is a halfway house: the group policy editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them (how previous generations of Windows always worked) - though again security updates will still install automatically.

Note: Windows 10 Home users have to sit this one out, it is only for Windows 10 Education, Pro and Enterprise editions.

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to '2 - Notify for download and notify for install'
Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click 'Check for updates' which applies the new configuration setting
Restart

Oshyan

I agree, the Win 10 auto-update policy is insane. I really cannot believe they get away with it, but I guess those (relatively few, compared to overall installations) customers who need constant uptime are also Windows Pro users in most cases, with access to the Group Policy Editor and probably already used to central administration of update policy. Those few(er) of us on "home" computers using them for serious rendering are really out of luck. However the app linked in this thread for disabling updates is probably the best solution. It's a good idea to check manually for updates once a month or so, still. But Microsoft is really making things worse for many people, who will try their best to go *without* updates like this, purely because MS refuses to allow a more flexible, more user-controlled update policy.

ReactOS is interesting but it has been in "alpha" for, uh, nearly a decade? I don't know if it will ever reach its goal, and by the time it does, it may not be compatible with the latest version(s) of Windows. Oh yes, initial release 20 years ago! And still in alpha. ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

The thing is, they warned us that even there own products would soon not have technical support. blah blah blah...But even professional users thought ...okay fine, mine is working fine and is compatible with my other stuff. I do not think they ever said....okay kids, today is the day we rip off all the bandaids.
Like Seth said, before you could choose your updates with information explaining how and what the update does.
I just might hook up the old 1GIG yet and run it offline. Then I can play slow Scrabble.....and Frogger... :o Just what one person needs, 3 computers, a tablet and a phone. Oh yes, forgot my TV is smarter than me too.

ajcgi

Mate, I had to reboot my door intercom this week. :D My front door is higher tech than I am!
The group policy thingy is handy to know. Our windows 10 machines here drop connection to mapped network drives without a tweak in the policy editor.
I've worked on Linux (CentOS mainly), Windows, and Mac. I still think Linux is best for huge VFX businesses, but my favourite is Windows. At home, for my photo work I still use an iMac which I hardly update in case Apple break stuff for me. I have an iPhone which I won't update past iOS 10 as it will doubtless stop talking to my iMac, they'll have a falling out, I'll have a falling out with both.
All this OS stuff works fine so long as it's set up, left alone and nobody tries to break it.

digitalguru

QuoteReactOS is interesting but it has been in "alpha" for, uh, nearly a decade?

Oh dear, I didn't see that. You have to worry when you see they apps they display can run on their OS are Photoshop CS2 and Simcity 3000.

There really is an anti-trust thing going on here, I know people may say to migrate to Linux or Apple, but apps are limited in Linux and to some extent Apple (which is also much more proprietary in hardware - nowhere near as much bang for the buck as PCs).

Windows have upset a lot of people with the updates nonsense and telemetry privacy etc. Maybe it might provoke somebody to come up with a decent OS which can run Windows apps , but that's a massive job and then they have the might of Windows to come up against - who I'm sure will want to stomp on any one who makes in-roads on their turf.

The current solution is to make use of some apps out there that can help with turning off these features, I would hope some of these allow Windows 10 Home users to get the same level of control as Windows Pro can.

Here's a good list of apps that help:

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

digitalguru

QuoteMate, I had to reboot my door intercom this week.

Yes, it's not all bad of course - last week my toaster upgraded itself to a Breville  :)

QuoteI have an iPhone which I won't update past iOS 10

And there's the whole IPhone OS thing where the updates made the phone run slower.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I always just use the "Pause Updates" feature before I start long renders (especially if I know they will still be rendering on Tuesday).

archonforest

I can see the future already. You wake up and try to make a cup of coffee but the coffee machine refuse it as there are several pending updates... :o
Then you slowly pull out your hammer and... :-X

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Quote from: archonforest on April 19, 2018, 02:07:25 PM
I can see the future already. You wake up and try to make a cup of coffee but the coffee machine refuse it as there are several pending updates... :o
Then you slowly pull out your hammer and... :-X

Even more so...

"Your coffee cup is not compatible with the latest update. Coffee machine will now close." :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

QuoteI can see the future already. You wake up and try to make a cup of coffee but the coffee machine refuse it as there are several pending updates... :o

And they tell us that these things soon will be driving our cars for us.

(Your brakes are not working right now. Please try again later.)

luvsmuzik

Could I please please, please, please be the one that is at the ATM when simultaneously the cameras fail, the video disintegrates, but the machine is spitting out money? 

jaf

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 19, 2018, 11:07:23 AM
I always just use the "Pause Updates" feature before I start long renders (especially if I know they will still be rendering on Tuesday).
Thanks! I don't remember seeing that option before, but it is there on my system.  Is that new?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

;D ;D Or the fridge won't let you in to get your beer because it hasn't got an 's' in front of its address.  :P >:( >:(