Windows 10 mandatory updates and long rendering

Started by Denis Sirenko, April 16, 2018, 05:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denis Sirenko

Hi guys! This problem has been troubling me for a while. Googling on the forum did not give me results. This weekend I left 5 computers for rendering. Two of them saved, apparently, that they have installed more ancient versions of Windows (7). Another 2 of them rebooted due to another mandatory update of Windows 10. Active hours of work do not help me, because the rendering can be performed more than 18 hours (18 hours is the maximum duration of the activity period, which can be set so that the Windows does not reboot). How do you solve this problem? Are there any links to articles or discussions that helped you solve the problem?

Dune

I would turn off automatic updates, and only update when you want it. Besides, I work with an offline machine for rendering especially, which never updates.

Denis Sirenko

Dune, the point is that in Windows 10 I can not find anywhere the ability to turn off autoupdates and autoreboot. The developers themselves say that now updates are mandatory. And, really, I see that I can only "turn on/turn off" the warning window that Windows 10 will now be automatically rebooted. But if you cancel the reboot more than three times, it will still reboot (I've read about this). It is also possible to set the time interval during the day when automatic reboot is disabled. But, as I said, this setting can only cover the interval, which does not cover the whole 24 hours.

So, some artists just use older versions of Windows or other OS for work and therefore do not experience such problems?

digitalguru

Hi Dennis.

I sympathise, the auto updates behaviour in Windows 10 is appalling - if there was an alternative O/S (Linux would limit a lot of apps I can use) then I would use it.

The whole 6 hour update Window just doesn't allow for situations such as yours, where unattended renders could be stopped because of an update.

I spend a lot of time getting my system to work, and that means sometimes going off grid with drivers etc (had to find a particular LAN driver to work with Cubase for example) and I don't want Windows to stomp over that by loading what it thinks is the latest driver.

The whole recent Meltdown and Spectre fiasco, where the cure introduced more problems than the security flaw it was supposed to fix, is a good indication why it would be good to get control back in updates al la Windows 7 - where you could choose what you wanted to update and when.

My old Windows 7 machine had updates turned off and ran just fine, I only ever updated if I re-installed the O/S, and I plan to use Windows 10 that way too.

Anyway, rant over...

Use this:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You can always turn updates back on when you have a convenient 6 hour window where your machine is doing nothing :)

archonforest

or just unplug your internet cable while rendering.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Ah, win 10, I didn't know that mandatory updating. I work on 7 and will continue to do so. And what if you take it offline (just unplugging the cable) when rendering? it won't find any uopdates then.

Dune

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

I think he may be accessing machines remotely? Someone mentioned this in another topic. Probably mistaken. I just lost a render a few days ago to a update on win10. There is a way to disable it, I've done it before. Just waking up but no believe Windows Defender must be disabled as well or it will enable updates after 30 days (maximum updates can be turned off)

luvsmuzik

Reading this thread, I do not feel quite as dumb as I did a month or so ago.
After the release of TG4, I stumbled through with a 4GIG unit with win10 installed. TG4 did okay as long as I did more complex renders in down time. At this time Win10 was only installing updates with administrator approval.

I asked and was told I think by Oshlyan, that yes, I could do things with 4GIG, but should probably look to the future improvments to TG features and get some more "power". I knew this was coming eventually on my own anyway, this was just confirmation.

So  at my first opportunity financially after my purchase of TG4 Creative, I got my current 16G unit with OS Win10 installed. About a week later, my old unit was somehow reset with an "update", wiping out most of my old programs. To say the least I was furious. I walked into my workroom with a blue screen message on the older unit...something like, Windows is resetting your computer. My File Explorer had folders like Removed Programs that when exe files were selected all older programs failed to open due to missing dll or other files. Even reinstalling these files only resulted in new messages about missing files. I am not a genius and was not going to track down all these files because I had no clue if  I could even place them where they belonged or if the next update would simply wipe them out again.

Then someone suggested,okay put it back on Win7 or Win8. New computer salesman sort of laughed and said Good Luck with that. I pay annually for Office Home updates so losing Office Pro bothered me some, but I got over it. (sort of)

I will now "get over it" but it is a pain to send myself stuff or download with a stick, my newer TG4 files. It was probably all crapola anyway, but it was my crapola, so I thought.

digitalguru

QuoteAbout a week later, my old unit was somehow reset with an "update"

Whatever happened to your machine sound much more serious that an update. I know I rant about updates, but they should only affect Windows system files, devices drivers etc.

However just did a quick search and found this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

Is this what happened to your computer?

If it is, that's outrageous - Windows "upgades" your computer without you asking, then removes programs it thinks are incompatible.

Another reason my Windows updates are staying OFF.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: digitalguru on April 16, 2018, 12:03:34 PM

Whatever happened to your machine sound much more serious that an update. I know I rant about updates, but they should only affect Windows system files, devices drivers etc.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/

If it is, that's outrageous - Windows "upgades" your computer without you asking, then removes programs it thinks are incompatible.

That is exactly what happened. And of course I did try reinstall and old TG943 still getting messages. And of course, now more than 30 days have passed since initial event.

digitalguru

https://www.reactos.org/

looks like an open source operating system that can run Windows programs...

still in alpha at the moment, but might be worth looking at when Windows becomes completely unbearable!

luvsmuzik

I think perhaps it is because TG uses or used to involve Visual Basic or what is the other one.....duh...I had to get a Win7 codec package once before when switching XP to 7...on a third pc not even discussed yet...groan...
I even asked about this new one if it could handle games and graphics...which it does but old stuff ....still error messages.  I will muddle through as I just amuse myself with TG, but really.... Thanks!

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on April 16, 2018, 12:03:34 PM

There were 2 windows 10 updates that changed the kernel, where applications that were deemed "incompatible" will be removed. It shouldn't effect personal files. I remember the exact update she is talking about. Most my applications besides base windows ones were removed. Most annoyingly Classic Start and other features that made Windows 10 more user friendly.