Windows 10 mandatory updates and long rendering

Started by Denis Sirenko, April 16, 2018, 05:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denis Sirenko

Digitalguru, thanks for the link, I think I'll test ShutUp10.

Archonforest, Dune, WASasquatch was right when he said that I use remote access to working computers from home. Nevertheless, that's exactly what I did yesterday: unplug the wires before leaving the office. It's like a solution, but it has its limitations.

Regarding the cases with self-reinstallation of Windows 7 on Windows 10. In the office after a week or two of fighting, two computers changed the Windows 7 to 10. The same thing happened to one of my colleagues on the home computer. This happened massively with all the ensuing problems, like the inability to use those programs that became incompatible. I can not say that I did not want to update my Windows, I usually welcome new solutions. But in the case of long rendering, this update policy just does not work. In my opinion, this is an unnecessarily aggressive policy that makes me change my attitude to Windows from the position of "completely loyal", to "they do not like me and do not respect me for something." This makes me now look around to find a more convenient solution, like MacOS.

About Reaktos - there is little skepticism about such decisions. In my opinion, there is a lack of centralization in the open solutions, which is necessary for the formulation of the ideology of a software solution. Without this, we usually get a solution which can do many things, but not very well. But I will keep the link, I have not heard about this system before.

Denis Sirenko

Also the solution that I found: make animation with crops for rendering. Render, say, not the whole picture at once, but consistently several regions. At least, in the case of a system reboot, this eliminates the need to re-render everything completely. The result is then stuck together in Photoshop. Perhaps this is an obvious solution, but I still want to share.

digitalguru

QuoteIn the office after a week or two of fighting, two computers changed the Windows 7 to 10.

There is also a small program called Never 10 - that stops Windows 7 self upgrading to 10. Reinstall your Windows 7 and run that.

WASasquatch :
QuoteMost my applications besides base windows ones were removed.
I'm flabbergasted this has happened to you - may I ask what apps were deleted in this update?

Denis
Quotelso the solution that I found: make animation with crops for rendering.
You shouldn't have to do this - it's your computer - make it work the way you want to...

QuoteAbout Reaktos - there is little skepticism about such decisions.

It's very early days for this, check out some of the apps they say can run on it (Sim City 3000!) and is no way a solution for at least a couple of years (at least), but if Microsoft continue to behave the way they are currently with Windows 10 it might incentivize the software community to come up with a viable alternative.

luvsmuzik

Denis,
This is a SERIOUS upgrade
I lost all Microsoft Visual C+ beginning 2005 through 2015, the MSXML Parsers (5 versions) Microsoft Professional Office, Office 365 6 versions of SketchUP,  5 versions of Terragen, any software installed with a Disk or not native to MS operating system, including my virus software
In document form, it is a list 3 pages long.
I have used Windows since 1995, thinking like you did, stay loyal...and I probably still will, but I may just go offline with anything I want to keep.
I did just remember I do have either Win7 or 8 on the backup drive, but even if I do that I don't think I have all necessary files to run programs foreign to MS.

Edit afterthought: What is infuriating to me is that I had been running Win10 on said computer for at least a year, and encouraging others about it, then January 9, 2018 like a thief in the night this reset happens. :(

digitalguru

Quotebut I may just go offline with anything I want to keep

that you have to say that about your operating system is just nuts

luvsmuzik

Quote from: digitalguru on April 17, 2018, 08:05:31 AM
Quotebut I may just go offline with anything I want to keep

that you have to say that about your operating system is just nuts

I quite agree. I have my tgd and such files in documents, so all was not lost there. I have a Mac tablet and phone (gifts from my kids) so I have tried pretty much every system. Ages ago I even did some type of game thing for my kids, typing code into a cassette. I have no idea what I was doing, somebody showed me what to do and I did it. haha   I did some work on a Mac, just document stuff. So it isn't like I won't adapt.

ajcgi

Windows 7 all the way. If I buy a new PC it will be Windows 7. Buy it without software, acquire 7, use it. That is the solution to this Windows 10 nonsense imho.

digitalguru

I did try that, and I got Windows 7 up and running on my AMD - but then I realised that some features on board (LAN drivers etc) didn't have Windows 7 drivers...

I think if you want a new CPU/Motherboard, there's no other option :-(

ajcgi

??? Ah man, that sucks to hear. I guess you're right. Past a certain point it might be tricky.

luvsmuzik

The problem I am having with TG 943 is the 32OCX cmd file. My unit is a 32/64 split, I think I even tried the 64bit download, not sure. Someone take a screen shot of an open TG 943 directory so I can see what I need and where it should go, should I find a download that works. Microsoft download for it just redirects me now to buy newer stuff.

Dune

QuoteI think if you want a new CPU/Motherboard, there's no other option :-(

It can't be so that all hardware is dependent on Microsoft, that would be quite horrible  >:( >:( >:( :(

N-drju

How lucky I am to have never got convinced to upgrade to Windows 10...

For some reason, somehow, I managed to miss Windows 10 free update. My computer never did anything behind my back (so to say) and no new upgrades come in form of a new OS.

Denis, one "bootleg" tip that I have for you is something that I used to prevent some of my programs from updating, rebooting or connecting to the Internet... Just change the system date to three or four days in the past... :D May trick your system into thinking it's not yet a time to upgrade / update.

It worked for me many times. You won't be able to use internet (webpage security certificates) but you may fool the upgrade system.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on April 18, 2018, 01:08:33 AM
QuoteI think if you want a new CPU/Motherboard, there's no other option :-(

It can't be so that all hardware is dependent on Microsoft, that would be quite horrible  >:( >:( >:( :(

Looks like they going towards what Apple is doing since a while. A program you want doesn't run on your current MACOS. OKay lets buy the new one...but that is not install-able because the hardware is 3 years old.. Pff... :-X
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Quote from: archonforest on April 18, 2018, 02:44:26 AM
Looks like they going towards what Apple is doing since a while. A program you want doesn't run on your current MACOS. OKay lets buy the new one...

Apple is junk to be honest. ::) I will never-ever buy myself one anymore - slow, buggy, design over functionality and mechanics. Plus what you mention - suddenly, some programs and applications stop working and that's it. My father couldn't run the browser properly on his MAC. Cleaned cookies, reset Safari nothing helped. Service verdict? You need a new OS!

Shit, new OS just to get the browser running? :o On Windows it's a browser that tunes up to your system!

Even more reason for me to think I am lucky to have what I have.

In thirteen years of my history as a sole computer owner there was only a single one program that I was unable to run again when switching computer.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

QuoteApple is junk to be honest.

News to me.  :)