That's a million dollar question...

Started by N-drju, April 19, 2018, 02:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Guys, is dry grass translucent........?? ::)

If yes, what translucency color should be applied in order to preserve the general coloring? The same as in diffuse?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 19, 2018, 02:26:35 PM
Guys, is dry grass translucent........?? ::)

If yes, what translucency color should be applied in order to preserve the general coloring? The same as in diffuse?

Due to it's density, yes, though would be significantly less translucent.

Take this DOF shot of some grass, there is clear low level luminance of the blades in the light.

Dune

I usually just use the grey slider set at 0.2 or 0.4 or so, but it depends on the species of grass and the effect you're after. Maybe a yellow-green color would be better. I also have some texture (grey scale) loaded for very close-up grass. Interesting to see the diferences in color when you look at fields of grass with light behind you (bluish because of reflection), and againts the light (very warm yellowish green).
Also, I sometimes find the translucency too much for grass in shadows (they kind of lighten up due to GI), as opposed to grass in sunlight.
What I also do is reduce opacity to 0.6-0.8 for less dark shadows between blades.

N-drju

Grass-wise I noticed two more things:

1. In case of Mr.Lamppost's pack, a color is affected by the diffuse image he used in each grass species... I forgot the blades have distinct diffuse images in that pack. ::) They greatly influence the final color.

2. Ulco, did you mention "reflection"? I tried to light up my grasses with reflections (as in real life) but no matter the specularity settings I get no effects at all! ???
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Yes, and it should work. But it depends on where the sun is and how your blades angle towards it. Vertical grass would have les reflection than bent blades.

N-drju

I guess I'll try several species then. Because so far I got no reflective effects at all. :)

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 24, 2018, 07:21:21 AM
Grass-wise I noticed two more things:
2. Ulco, did you mention "reflection"? I tried to light up my grasses with reflections (as in real life) but no matter the specularity settings I get no effects at all! ???

Have you looked at Dune's grass settings? It has specularity.