Base wispiness

Started by Mid-Knight Acchan, April 24, 2018, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid-Knight Acchan

hi,
Base wispiness
Although I understood that the bottom part of the cloud gradually becomes thinner (thinner), the volume of the cloud increases more as the parameter value increases.
Am I forgetting something important?

thank you for browsing
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Mid-Knight Acchan

By the way, if you do not input anything to the input of the Density shader and set it as a cloud layer, the bottom of the cloud becomes thin and blurred.

I think that this is the original working, why did the cloud density increase in the above image?
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Oshyan

Wispiness is not the same as Softness. The "wispiness" is supposed to modify the density function's fractal to create smaller structures near the base of the cloud, gradually returning to normal near the top of the cloud, but yes, it can affect every part of the cloud. The change in overall coverage seems greater than it should be near the top of the cloud though. We are investigating. Your second example probably shows things differently because there is no input fractal for the Wispy function to act properly on. The result is similar to what Softness does to the base.

- Oshyan

Mid-Knight Acchan

Thank you for your answer.
I spent two days understanding this function :D

I would like to further deepen understanding!

Dune

Thinking about this; it would be handy to have some sort of mechanism/slider for the depth modulator to be able to restrict it to part of the height, say the lower half, of a cloud, with a soft top of that restriction. So if you increase its effect, it will not delete the entire cloud to the top.
That way you would be able to use even quite thin cloud layers to have an adjusted underside. In effect this would probably mean kind of the same as 'base whispiness', but with input at one's choice.

N-drju

Can't it just be done with the distribution shader Ulco? Like you advised me to do?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I'm sure it can, now that you mention it. But something 'easy' would be easier  ;)

N-drju

TBH, adding a distrib. is the easiest method yet IMHO (too many abbreviations, I know). Though it may not be effective enough for Mid-Knight's application.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

Masking by height would be the way to go. You can also consider/try a Painted Shader-based mask with a perpendicular planar projection (X or Z), which effectively should give you vertical masking in a cloud. You would need to paint on an object with the same height as the cloud for it to work, but you can easily create a Cube that fulfills that role. Alternatively you could use a Through Camera projected image map, etc.

- Oshyan