Density Shader vs. Final Density Modulator

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), April 29, 2018, 01:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Whats the difference, or why use "Final Density Modulator" instead of just a Density Shader?

Thanks,

Derek

luvsmuzik

I am not an expert, but I have seen the Distribution shader used here. I am experiment with warps, redirects, etc. Hooking those there is one of my current trials also.

WAS

Believe it's just a cloud based mask rather than masking the Density PF and the cloud layer reading that as a single cloud. Taking into consideration cloud properties I guess.

As you can see, there isn't much difference in masking the cloud density, and using the density modulator. It seems the modulator method, again, uses some internal methods to determining the best effect for the mask. Masking the Density itself seems to yield a sharper, more exacting result, using the modulator seems to have some adaptive effects.

Here is a comparison render I did.  It seems the Final density modulator renders faster, and produces a softer result.  I'm curious if anyone knows the technical things going on behind the scene here.[attachimg=1]

luvsmuzik

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 29, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
Here is a comparison render I did.  It seems the Final density modulator renders faster, and produces a softer result.  I'm curious if anyone knows the technical things going on behind the scene here.[attachimg=1]

Are you using the same setup, just transferring one node to the other? Try hooking it to both. I didn't see much difference in rendertime with both. Also try the Depth Modulator node.

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 29, 2018, 03:52:17 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 29, 2018, 03:49:40 PM

Are you using the same setup, just transferring one node to the other? Try hooking it to both. I didn't see much difference in rendertime with both.

Yes, same exact setup except for switching the Density fractal from the Final density modulator input to Density shader input on the Cloud layer v3.

Why would you connect to both inputs?

luvsmuzik

Sometimes I put a new PF there. I usually like high definition rather than soft. Depends on how I am going to use it.

WAS

We're trying to see what they do, not merge both effects. We want to separately see the effects. Depth modulator isn't part of this scenario.

Like I mentioned it's just a mask, but using internal cloud properties to govern it's effect. So instead of cookie cutter masks, you get flowing masks that look natural.

For example, in our volumetric stars using clouds, the density modular can give our stars placement shape without cutting a star in half. Instead, that star will just be less bright/big.

luvsmuzik

I hope you will document this in some form to either update WIKI or add a new source to internal Cloud Library. These discussions really help! :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 29, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
I hope you will document this in some form to either update WIKI or add a new source to internal Cloud Library. These discussions really help! :)

Maybe D.A. can, his example seems to be more interpretive. I have stayed away from editing the wiki due to my bad dyslexia and dyscalculia. I don't want to confuse or mislead anyone.

I don't think we users have access to edit the Wiki anymore.  Oshyan mentioned awhile ago they had to restrict that due to some spamming bots.

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 29, 2018, 04:25:42 PM
I don't think we users have access to edit the Wiki anymore.  Oshyan mentioned awhile ago they had to restrict that due to some spamming bots.

Why do they keep telling us to use the Wiki and submit tutorials there and such? I think perhaps it's restricted to registered users.

Would be cool to have a SMF based wiki, or use SMF authentication for a wiki like MediaWiki.

luvsmuzik

You could start a topic in the cloud library with a title say.....2018 Cloud Testing (even put your name there too)
Then you could reply posting with links to examples as you go along. Too bad you can't (or can you?) lock a topic so only the individual posting can add things to it. Saves white space and diversions.

Funny, I ended back here in my own thread because I had the same question from before, but forgot the answer.  heh.

-Derek