Glacier

Started by Dune, May 04, 2018, 01:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Very early WIP of a glacier. This time not a neat straight one, but crumbling and disorderly. Lots of things still lok awfull, also the whole layout. I used one of the maps I made from Daniil's erosion shader again for the flows.

Hannes

The BW image looks even more impressive.

WAS

Impressive. I've been meaning to try and tackle glacier but always get side tracked. Is there translucency going on or just reflection?

Dune

There's both.

Update. I still need to find out how rugged and distorted the terrain was in a flat country like ours, so this might be very off.

WAS

Wow, this is great work. Very inspirational. I may have to actually give this a go once I shake this atmospheric addiction I got going on.

Hannes

Beautiful! And once again I desperately miss subsurface scattering.

Dune

Perhaps I can put this all in a glass shader..... ;) Or (more seriously) perhaps some PF masked extra subtle glow can help. I did add extra darkening and Lambert translucency (both bluish) to the cracks, but a bit too subtle I think. The effect is easily overdone.

Dune

Rougher terrain, and some more green in the ice. But the cracks are a bit too regular, I'll have to change that. I also added some big fake stones, but they are not working very well everywhere.

N-drju

Watch out for Scrat Ulco. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

He's been flushed  ;)

WAS

This is starting to look so amazing! Great work! I could see this in some sort of early-human scene.

Though there is one thing I'd point out. You have mud flows in your scene, but there are no mountains for the mud to run from down, and on-top of the glacier! :O Also, these flows, are vertical, along the length and slopes of the glacier, not horizontal. The second image, which has the most heavy debris, was from a landslide.

Dune

Thanks for your input WAS. It is indeed to be used as early human illustration, hence the (temporary) lone ranger. I guess you are referring to the rubble 'strata', and you may have a point. I don't actually know if the glaciers from the ice age would have dirt in these broken up layers. The ice would have come over thousands of years over thousands of kilometers from Scandinavia, growing by motion and snow. Debris from Scandinavia would have come with it (we still find the rocks in agricultural fields), but I'm not sure if this dirt would have been layered. So, good point, I will research more....

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 08, 2018, 03:13:46 AM
Thanks for your input WAS. It is indeed to be used as early human illustration, hence the (temporary) lone ranger. I guess you are referring to the rubble 'strata', and you may have a point. I don't actually know if the glaciers from the ice age would have dirt in these broken up layers. The ice would have come over thousands of years over thousands of kilometers from Scandinavia, growing by motion and snow. Debris from Scandinavia would have come with it (we still find the rocks in agricultural fields), but I'm not sure if this dirt would have been layered. So, good point, I will research more....

I think it is highly possible "layers" of debris would be possibly lifted into fractures that open, and basically "scoop" up the floor as the glacier moves. I live in WA, Puget Sound, which was formed via Glacier, there are huge boulders and rocks littered everywhere, there's a place (that I can't remember the name of) that has a boulder with a plaque about it being from igneous rock the Kluane region in Canada... near Alaska, about 1,000 miles away. However, these boulders are predominately moved by rolling below the glaciers, literally pushed by the glaciers. This is also how we get large fractured (or in pieces) boulders that never fell. They broke from being lodged while having tremendous forces behind them.

I like to search a lot about things I'm designing, and I've been starting to plan for a glacier, and have done studies on it in school. Mostly mandatory.