Glacier

Started by Dune, May 04, 2018, 01:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The scooping up sounds very plausible. I'll ask around a bit. Thanks again.

Dune

Moved the cam (and noticed some unrendered/strange areas, so I have to change displ. tolerance). Streams are not like they should be, but the main view has to be from below anyway.

luvsmuzik

You know I wondered about this....
Have you tried a transform input  rotation before masking yet? It seems like any other type of map that would (should) be possible. It is also possible as glacier retreats it leaves a mound, hill, mountain that would in time form streams opposite of what you would think. I am thinking of theory of how our Great Lakes and flood planes were formed.

WAS

What unrendered areas? I don't see them. Do you mean the hard shadows created by your stones on the ground? On the glacier I just see your gray layer which has gone deep and dark due to the blues and shadows as well.

Dune

There's no need to rotate the map on this occasion, but I use rotation by transform all the time. And I know there's often a huge terminal moraine (also maybe blocking streams, so they have to run perpendicular to the glacier for a while), but you could say that this glacier has retreated a lot yet, so that moraine is way to the left. There are also drumlins, circular pools and other specialties, but I have to talk to the people involved what's needed in this case.

See red arrows.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 09, 2018, 01:31:33 AM
There's no need to rotate the map on this occasion, but I use rotation by transform all the time. And I know there's often a huge terminal moraine (also maybe blocking streams, so they have to run perpendicular to the glacier for a while), but you could say that this glacier has retreated a lot yet, so that moraine is way to the left. There are also drumlins, circular pools and other specialties, but I have to talk to the people involved what's needed in this case.

See red arrows.

Oh wow I see them now! Those are... odd. Little different from the normal exploded terrain, or holes.

This is still coming along very nicely. And I really enjoy that I was able to pickup the meaning behind the scene being "early human". Would say that means you are masterful in conveying your scenes meaning.

DocCharly65

Very impressive, Ulco.
Looks very convincing.

Very odd these unrendered areas. Are they always there at the same place also with different camera angles/positions?

René

The new camera angle adds so much more drama and interest. The disadvantage is that at first glance it is less clear that it is a glacier, but I personally wouldn' t mind about that.
Maybe a bit of subsurface scattering wouldn' t be out of place. :)

Oshyan

Have you tried increasing the Displacement Tolerance Ulco?

- Oshyan

Dune

Not yet, busy with something else, but I'll try today.

EDIT: Just tried 1.2, and that did it.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 10, 2018, 01:25:31 AM
Not yet, busy with something else, but I'll try today.

EDIT: Just tried 1.2, and that did it.

Phew. Glad that was an easy fix for you. Can't wait to see more from this.

I had an idea for some glaciers myself using two objects, planet, well, for planet, and a sphere at planet scale for the glaciers and transparencies and just mask it in. Also wanted to try warping the glacier "along the terrain" between two mountains if possible. You've given me a lot of inspiration!

Dune

Should be feasible (though you'd have a very distinct, well... distinction between glacier and rock. If you use colors for heights, you could also use a line off that to get the glacier, though that may be a bit harder). Looking forward to your work.

Dune

I did a little experiment by mixing the line of the glacier with a glass shader (with some density colors to fake SSS, sort of), but it takes hours and is not what I expected.

mhaze

Still it really looks good!

Dune

Let's have another one.