Glacier

Started by Dune, May 04, 2018, 01:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILENCER

Water runoff looks fabulous

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 27, 2018, 10:56:22 AM
Let's have another one.

Those sandbars look really nice. Is that with rivers mode or painted?

archonforest

kind of game of thrones....the north wall :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Quote from: archonforest on May 27, 2018, 03:51:50 PM
kind of game of thrones....the north wall :D

Dito!
Great render :)

zaxxon

Dune

Thanks guys. The glacier is 1k high and quite a distance away (around 100k I think). I'm doing a series of things, but needed to find out whether an ice age sheet would be visible from a certain area. Not, I'm afraid, so this is for fun. As soon as the sheet of max 1k high is further than 300k away, it's pretty invisible. So there goes my 'romantic'  idea to visualize what I wanted.
The rivers I made beforehand (Daniil's shader indeed + ortho render rivers illuminated on a black surface), as that's lower on MB's than keeping an erosion file, and I could work on them a litttle in PS, and make a soft 'off river' map for the rises. Distinction between gravel banks and rivers is by color adjust from the river map.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 28, 2018, 01:33:28 AM
Thanks guys. The glacier is 1k high and quite a distance away (around 100k I think). I'm doing a series of things, but needed to find out whether an ice age sheet would be visible from a certain area. Not, I'm afraid, so this is for fun. As soon as the sheet of max 1k high is further than 300k away, it's pretty invisible. So there goes my 'romantic'  idea to visualize what I wanted.
The rivers I made beforehand (Daniil's shader indeed + ortho render rivers illuminated on a black surface), as that's lower on MB's than keeping an erosion file, and I could work on them a litttle in PS, and make a soft 'off river' map for the rises. Distinction between gravel banks and rivers is by color adjust from the river map.

I had an idea it may have been more of a "Map" or "Texture" by the look of the sandbars and rises. Wish I had access to the ortho to do stuff like that.

Dune

You can point a normal camera down from way up high with appropriate angles.

Kadri

Looks great Ulco.
A little crop with more space centred around the left side looks even more good to my eye.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2018, 02:31:26 AM
I did a little experiment by mixing the line of the glacier with a glass shader (with some density colors to fake SSS, sort of), but it takes hours and is not what I expected.

Have you tried Hannes' Ice and Snow preset from his collection?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

I'm not quite sure, if this works for terrains. But there's only one way to find out... ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 29, 2018, 01:45:17 PM
I'm not quite sure, if this works for terrains. But there's only one way to find out... ;)

hadn't considered that
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

No, I have all Hannes' stuff, but never had a look at it (sorry). I might try it, but glacier is out of the question for this series now, so I'll concentrate on other things.