Voronoi rock

Started by René, May 04, 2018, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I feel compelled to nominate René ROCK STAR 2018 here as well as on FaceBook...brillllllliant and thanks for the clip man.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Thx for the tgc file. :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

zaxxon

A generous offering, thank you!

j meyer

Thanks indeed, interesting set-up of nodes.

Hannes

That's truly amazing! Thanks, René!!

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

WAS

I've gone back to some voronoi play, and tried to update one of my cliffs with the rock attempt, but I can't get the rocks to function correctly. Either too tall, or flattened and exploded/crunched rocks appear. Doesn't look too bad but definitely isn't the look I was hoping to achieve with the rock boundaries creating nice separation. Are there any special settings you do on the fake stones for them or displacement?

mhaze

The more vertical the cliff faces the better voronoi works also stretch the voronoi noise in the y axis.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: mhaze on May 14, 2018, 03:59:14 AM
The more vertical the cliff faces the better voronoi works also stretch the voronoi noise in the y axis.

For those of us who try....As you can see I can implement the clip on a cube, but again I am stumped as how to setup the base in a terrain. I have multiple shared displacement cliff or strata-voronoi mixes. I am clueless as to how to achieve the basic smooth face like many used in the NWDA Cliff contest, for example.
BTW, I have tried multiple times since downloading the clips.

Dune

You have to be careful just dropping in clips by others, as they won't always suit the terrain or other nodes you've put in before. Better dissect, and learn, then use the idea to build your own from scratch.
QuoteI am clueless as to how to achieve the basic smooth face
If you want to build from the default scene, you can increase the smallest size in the base terrain PF to start with (make it 5m or so), then you can decrease detail in the fractal warp (say 0.8-0.9). Voila, smooth mountains as a base to build upon. You want more steepness; increase variation in the pf, and increase clumping, etc.

René

I used a mask to displace (displacement offset) two terrains. After that, I added fake stones(optional) as a third terrain.
After the basic Voronoi texture there is also a warp and a number of smaller displacements for more variety, texture and colour.

It is a good idea not to make the terrain too detailed, otherwise the textures will go haywire.

René

Added some vegetation.

René