Voronoi rock

Started by René, May 04, 2018, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Very good, I'd say. I notice you work on a very large scale, stones of 222m, whereas you get the impression of a scene of max ~50m diameter or so in this case. Do you decrease total size at the end or are the veggies also enlarged?

luvsmuzik

@Rene Thank you very much for those image examples and explanations! I was ready to just stack cubes everywhere.  :)

@Dune Yes, I had three file shares open, going back and forth, comparing. Your files usually build from a basic setup, then you add great additional features. All a learning process, but such fun! Off to experiment!  :)

René

Quote from: Dune on May 18, 2018, 06:03:40 AM
Very good, I'd say. I notice you work on a very large scale, stones of 222m, whereas you get the impression of a scene of max ~50m diameter or so in this case. Do you decrease total size at the end or are the veggies also enlarged?

The vegetation has indeed been enlarged. Occasionally during experimentation, I discover something I like, although the proportions are too large. Instead of decreasing textures and displacements, I find it easier to scale the objects down up.

Ariel DK

Quote from: René on May 08, 2018, 04:58:28 AM
Quote from: archonforest on May 07, 2018, 01:03:45 PM
This is the best rock surface I ever seen on TG! Stunning work.
You should really do some basic teaching on rocks. I'll pay for it for sure.

Thank you! I've used the merge shader and colour adust a lot. Basically, it is one Voronoi setup with several derivatives. For the rest, it is actually a lot of trial and error.

Impossible to explain or show better. useful techniques as always, thanks René!
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Seth

really good job and thx for the explainations !

archonforest

Thx Rene and Dune for the the extra info.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks René. That might be the way to overcome the problems I get with tiny scales, but harder to work on real world scale.

Hannes

Really impressing! Looks fantastic!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 19, 2018, 01:54:30 AM
Thanks René. That might be the way to overcome the problems I get with tiny scales, but harder to work on real world scale.

Agree, have same problem at 'real world' scale hence some weirdly scaled scenes.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist