WASasquatch's Nightsky & Moon

Started by WAS, May 05, 2018, 02:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Something for the community. This is my nightsky and moon with lunar bloom. I did not add a horizon fade to the nightsky as I've never gotten DandelO's to work and didn't understand how it worked. Lol If someone knows how to implement it correctly (to use as a TGC) feel free to do so.

I think you could animate the lunar bloom modulators, but I am not certain of this.

The nebula uses the Sirenko nebula effect from Denis Sirenko.

Usage Notes:

• The Nebula intensity can be controlled with the Nebula Mixer, or the Colour Tab of the Mask Nebula for Moon shader
  • The Star intensity can be controlled via the Colour Tab in the Star Shader v0.3 by WASasquatch_1 (This was suppose to be renamed to Star Shader Controller)
  • You can play around with the Nebula Mask seed to vary the nebula, or subsequently the colour seeds and such. You can also play with the stars Final Density PF seed.
  • I hope the Lightside and Darkside shadow and light modulators make sense. They need to be shifted with the light and dark side of the moon via the suns position. The elevation may present problems for animation
  • The moon is nothing special, just thrown together for use with the scene. Go ahead and mess around with seeds if you want.

P.S., if someone could render me a wallpaper of this scene with some clouds for a 1080p desktop, I'd be most appreciative. :)

Hannes

Dune

QuoteI did not add a horizon fade to the nightsky as I've never gotten DandelO's to work and didn't understand how it worked.
I don't remember (or know, I don't know) his file, but you can use a distribution shader masking th stars out under a certain altitude, but you should use Y.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 05, 2018, 05:35:30 AM
QuoteI did not add a horizon fade to the nightsky as I've never gotten DandelO's to work and didn't understand how it worked.
I don't remember (or know, I don't know) his file, but you can use a distribution shader masking th stars out under a certain altitude, but you should use Y.

That's a clever idea, actually. His file can be found here. He did not share with us his moon technique, which I recreated, though with a lot less bloom spread. Though my darkside modulator is not as good it seems.

As you can see both his, and mine are setup to animate the stars/nebulas to complete darkness for daytime.

Thanks, everyone.

luvsmuzik

Rendering with clouds now. Done in maybe 10 minutes, unless someone else is doing. 1920x1080

Edit: Here tis render time 17min 41 sec....I would of course use the one I upped the contrast and gamma on, but this is SPECTACULAR!!!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 05, 2018, 03:28:36 PM
Rendering with clouds now. Done in maybe 10 minutes, unless someone else is doing. 1920x1080

Yaay! Thanks a lot! I really liked the outcome but a stretched 1200x900 image on the desktop kills the stars.

Update: Love the colour on the second. I tried to get use rich colours but they come out a little saturated and not fixable without upping luminosity with colour.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 05, 2018, 03:44:41 PM

Yaay! Thanks a lot! I really liked the outcome but a stretched 1200x900 image on the desktop kills the stars.

Update: Love the colour on the second. I tried to get use rich colours but they come out a little saturated and not fixable without upping luminosity with colour.

You are welcome! That rendered really fast at 0.6MPD and 6AA

I want to ask about this because with all my renders, the first pass always has the colors I think I am getting and then the next one dulls them some. Is the MPD , AA, Gamma, or WHAT?? Perhaps the luminosity key?

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 05, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on May 05, 2018, 03:44:41 PM

You are welcome! That rendered really fast at 0.6MPD and 6AA

I want to ask about this because with all my renders, the first pass always has the colors I think I am getting and then the next one dulls them some. Is the MPD , AA, Gamma, or WHAT?? Perhaps the luminosity key?

The main camera is on the surface of the planet, which is looking through the atmosphere. There may be some settings with scattering and such that desaturate a bit. I'm not sure.

Oshyan

Quotewith all my renders, the first pass always has the colors I think I am getting and then the next one dulls them some

MPD and AA do not affect colors. You are probably seeing atmosphere effects being applied over a micropoly-rendered terrain. This happens only if Defer Atmo is enabled though. Gamma and Contrast should be applied every time the render view is updated, so you should never see the render view without them as far as I know.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on May 05, 2018, 04:36:01 PM
Quotewith all my renders, the first pass always has the colors I think I am getting and then the next one dulls them some

MPD and AA do not affect colors. You are probably seeing atmosphere effects being applied over a micropoly-rendered terrain. This happens only if Defer Atmo is enabled though. Gamma and Contrast should be applied every time the render view is updated, so you should never see the render view without them as far as I know.

- Oshyan

Does a luminosity setting or a reflective shader maybe do this also? For the nebula renders I usually set atmo at 0.

Oshyan

The glow post processes (and AA glow) would, but no, Luminosity and Reflective should not on their own. When you say you "Set atmo at 0", what do you mean? There is no single "atmo" setting. You can disable atmosphere rendering entirely in various ways, but that would disable clouds too, so probably isn't what you're using in the nebula renders.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Oh....I meant haze under atmo setting. Goofy me. :)

Oshyan

Mm, yeah so Haze is just one component of the atmosphere that would be rendering. And again when Defer Atmo is enabled, any atmospheric effects would apply after the terrain is rendered.

If that's not what's happening in your case then I'm not sure what it would be. If you could record a video of it happening that could be helpful.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

I will try that. It is to me like the difference in the finish on a hard copy photo. Gloss or matte, and I want gloss.