F49 Assaulter (F29 Retaliator revived)

Started by N-drju, May 06, 2018, 02:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Maybe it's silly, but I now try to redesign and recreate splash screens from an old, old PC game "F29 Retaliator" by (I guess now defunct) Ocean Software ltd.

I remember that I was really hooked on the game and, in fact, still love the climax it created with elaborate war updates, good backstory in the manual and especially the music. Though now, all of it may seems ridiculous, I was completely immersed in this little game.

Anyway, here is how the original splash screens looked like:

[attach=1]    [attach=2]

And here's what I got. Cloud sculpting mostly. Cockpit shots will have to wait for now:

[attach=3]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

That's great! I've never tried this game. There were so many fighter games and simulator games I wanted when I was young. We even got a really expensive joystick.

I do have to say the lighting on the models seems a little dark? Or is that just me?

N-drju

Well, you are right - it is. This render actually uses a fill light... heh. So the models would be even darker the "natural" way! However, a brighter fill light also lights up the ground down below and that in turn, through reflection, lights up the clouds from below. ::)

A chain reaction. But I guess I'll just turn the ground black or brown and then make the fill light stronger.

As far as the oldies go, I also liked "LHX Attack Chopper" but it was nowhere that climatic. Lots of fun there as well though.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Only now did I notice, that these two splash images loaded as thumbnails... Those on YouTube are in a better resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QlEkkyKUdI

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on May 06, 2018, 03:30:37 PM
Well, you are right - it is. This render actually uses a fill light... heh. So the models would be even darker the "natural" way! However, a brighter fill light also lights up the ground down below and that in turn, through reflection, lights up the clouds from below. ::)

A chain reaction. But I guess I'll just turn the ground black or brown and then make the fill light stronger.

As far as the oldies go, I also liked "LHX Attack Chopper" but it was nowhere that climatic. Lots of fun there as well though.

Is it perhaps the reflectivity of the object? I'm assuming with UV and reflectivity the model would pickup global illumination better.

luvsmuzik

If I looked hard enough I could probably find "Pong" somewhere in this house. I know where the chess game is. A complete unit with self adjusting skill levels. Got it for my dad early 80s. My brother used to buy me all these solar electronics, address book, calculator, 5 game word puzzles. Forty year old calculator still works. The others probably do too, packed away in a box. Then there is the Atari, mint condition that my mom kept on hand for the grandkids. Son bought his own Nintendo, child labor...hehe.. Renting Sega console at the video rental store...Ah the good old days...searching for John Madden football (they must have distributed 2 to every state...)
To their credit, both have jobs and function quite well so far.
If we are ever invaded, I could rig up some McGyver quickie and send messages.....hahahaha :)