Vertical Stretching Clouds

Started by WAS, May 06, 2018, 03:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Is this possible? I know cloud fractals and the like don't work off displacement in the Y axis, but is there any way?

Oshyan

The cloud nodes just volumetrically shade the incoming density function. So if you "stretch" your density function in some way (e.g. using a much higher value in one of the noise scale parameters vs. the others), then the cloud node will shade it that way. But it's the density function that's stretched, the cloud itself is just shading volumetrically as normal. In other words figure out how to get the shape you want ("stretched" look) in a normal shader network, then just feed that into a cloud node and it'll render as a volume. You can't "stretch" a cloud itself, so to speak.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on May 06, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
The cloud nodes just volumetrically shade the incoming density function. So if you "stretch" your density function in some way (e.g. using a much higher value in one of the noise scale parameters vs. the others), then the cloud node will shade it that way. But it's the density function that's stretched, the cloud itself is just shading volumetrically as normal. In other words figure out how to get the shape you want ("stretched" look) in a normal shader network, then just feed that into a cloud node and it'll render as a volume. You can't "stretch" a cloud itself, so to speak.

- Oshyan

Thank you! This gives me a much better understanding of how a cloud comes to be to begin with. Basically I'm working on fire and my warper wants to just warp on the X and Z axist more than Y, so I get "stout" flames as if a fan is over the top of them pushing them down while they try to flicker up. 

One of the issues I'm facing is the detail is all coming from fractalization and a warper, the original density is a SSS.