Reverse luminosity?

Started by WAS, May 06, 2018, 04:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

What's going on here? Having trouble getting a good glow here. Either it's too strong and causes these reverse glows, or it's not strong enough to glow inside the fire pit. x.x

Oshyan

I don't see the "reverse luminosity" here, and not sure what you're expecting to see. Is there a light source here? It seems to be working correctly to me if there's no light source (or perhaps even if there is). The area you highlighted looks like it would be mostly - if not entirely - in shadow to me.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Oshyan i didn't see it at first too.
It looks like the part he marked does have some kind of lighting from below outside and doesn't look right if there isn't any other light or luminosity etc. outside.

WASasquatch are those rocks objects?
Have you tried higher numbers in the Render GI settings?

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on May 06, 2018, 06:55:07 PM

Oshyan i didn't see it at first too.
It looks like the part he marked does have some kind of lighting from below outside and doesn't look right if there isn't any other light or luminosity etc. outside.

WASasquatch are those rocks objects?
Have you tried higher numbers in the Render GI settings?

Yeah it is a rock population. Played with fake stones but every time I got close to smooth stones all around, one or two would be completely exploded lol

Yeah there is a subtle glow seeming to come from outside the lightsource (coals and flames) and inwards towards the campfire from below.

I have not changed GI. Should I up cache? Maybe lower blur radius? Since this is small scale.

Kadri

If i had your scene i would try upping up render detail,GI values first.
But really don't can say more. Curious if the problem is somehow related because of the rock objects.
You could make a test render without ray tracing objects for example too, just to see what happens.

Dune

I don't see anything wrong here, just a nice reflected, vague light from the ground on the rocks.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 07, 2018, 01:12:52 AM
I don't see anything wrong here, just a nice reflected, vague light from the ground on the rocks.

I would find it "wrong" for reflected light on the rocks being brighter than it is on the ground. :P Not to mention this ground would not reflect much, if even visible.

Oshyan

I still don't see it (too dark on all my monitors), but what you describe basically sounds like a GI accuracy issue. Upping Cache Detail and Sample Quality might help, or you could try disabling GISD, but it may also just be something TG's render engine is not good at sampling. Very, very subtle and entirely indirect lighting like this is not the current render engine's strength.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on May 07, 2018, 04:47:40 PM
I still don't see it (too dark on all my monitors), but what you describe basically sounds like a GI accuracy issue. Upping Cache Detail and Sample Quality might help, or you could try disabling GISD, but it may also just be something TG's render engine is not good at sampling. Very, very subtle and entirely indirect lighting like this is not the current render engine's strength.

- Oshyan

Yeah I realize this. Hope it gets better.

I feel this specific problem is caused by the Rock Population, and the way light is interacting with the atmosphere, which has surface shadows disabled, so it ignores the terrain and provides scattering/glow where it shouldn't. Technically, the clouds poke a bit under the terrain, where there is atmosphere of course. This is pretty much unavoidable without making the fire base look like it's hovering.

Kadri

Don 't know if it is that important to you but you could add a kinda half sphere under the ground to block light.
Not sure if it will help.