7 Hours of Fire

Started by WAS, May 06, 2018, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Been working with a scene for over 7 hours. Spent only 10 minutes setting up the terrain, and fire pit with coals, but the flames. I want nice flames. Real flames. 7 hours later, on the 12 revision (total rebuild of cloud setup) and I have something resembling a campfire's flame. Ray marching is ramped up to a whopping 10 for the smooth "rippling" verticle effects like the flame has a source.

luvsmuzik

That looks great! Saw your earlier dilema. My volcano flames are shattered TG rock objects with a PF color glass shader merge combo, with a strong light source to light both mountain top and flame. (Hannes and Dune's suggestions for torch lights and candles flames, etc...)

WAS

Trying to get "harder" colour variation within the flames. May look better.

Haven't tried using objects before. Translucency in realism would be a big factor. Flames don't have internal refraction other than heat, which is usually too hot at source and something you see with it interacting with the atmosphere away from the flames.

luvsmuzik

That looks great as is, don't lose that setup, ha. Are you up to campfire_ver10.tgd yet? ha!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 06, 2018, 08:12:04 PM
That looks great as is, don't lose that setup, ha. Are you up to campfire_ver10.tgd yet? ha!

12 revision Save As's and probably hundred incremental files lol

bobbystahr

Well done, a hard task in any 3D app...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on May 06, 2018, 10:30:17 PM
Well done, a hard task in any 3D app...

So much so those that have mastered it create those expensive fire plugins

Dune

Your effort paid off. Very nice flames. I expect it also depends on the seed, whether you get realistic flames.

N-drju

That's an outstanding job as for something done entirely in TG! I always pick the easy way out with fire and just paste it in... ::) Congratulations!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 07, 2018, 01:02:03 AM
I expect it also depends on the seed, whether you get realistic flames.

Almost entirely if not for warping.

SILENCER

Nicely done.
Taking Terragen out for a spin over unfamiliar territory.

This is where the VDB imports are going to come in handy.

J_Con

Nice job! looks amazing.