Let me introduce you

Started by WAS, May 07, 2018, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

To Terragen's Galaxy. Naturally, she is smaller than the Milky Way, and still in "formation". :P

Goodnight.

archonforest

I think this is very cool!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

KlausK

This looks very good to me. What about rendertimes? If it renders reasonable fast on your machine it should be flying on something like mine, I guess.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Stormlord

Very nice Composition, I like it but there should be maybe some minor nebulas and star clusters.
Nevertheless, well done!

How long did it render and which machine do you use?

STORMLORD

WAS

Quote from: Stormlord on May 07, 2018, 02:24:13 PM
Very nice Composition, I like it but there should be maybe some minor nebulas and star clusters.
Nevertheless, well done!

How long did it render and which machine do you use?

STORMLORD

I mean, there are tons of Star clustering going on all.over the place. It would be hard to tell on an actual galaxy, or this one. You would pick out close stars or quasars, or distant galaxies.

There is red and orange nebulas as part of the Galaxy. I am not creating a older diffused galaxy like the Milky Way. I do not like it's outwards bands which have been dissrupted by neighboring galaxies. Love symmetrical galaxies like Sombrero, though I didn't want to make the boundaries as dense.

Render times are about 2-5 minutes off top of my head. This is all procedural on the background.

WAS

Testing render times

MPD: 0.6, AA: 6, GI Detail: 3, GI Sample Quality: 3, GI IP Occlusion Weight: 2

Keep in mind these settings are "cranked" even for free. A generic TG scene won't have these manual edits. Occlusion Weight especially helps bring out the star detail.

Forgot to edit time on last preview. It's 34 seconds, not 48. There actually is variance in this CPU on render times even with no settings changed. It's fun. Lol Here, you'd think brighter nebula would increase render times a bit, but it's likely my CPU choked on the last render compared to this last one.

Serious Question: In real life, stars are not mainly blue. They're mainly red dwarfs and main sequence stars. Quasars and such are a rarity. However in images by Hubble they use LBB and other image techniques to bring out a nice appealing look that is similar to our atmospheres desaturation of stars through refraction, and our lack of eyesight exposure times clearly.

So, does the galaxy look better with my realistic cosmic map with mainly red and orange stars, or with the edited cosmic map with mainly blue and white like in these previews?

WAS

Unfortunately due to the nature of the spherical background, placement of your camera will need special consideration relative to the spheres ability to render the background without distortion. Close to a RC.

Kadri

I like the last one. Subjective but i would use just a little fewer stars. A third or so less maybe.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on May 07, 2018, 06:13:09 PM

I like the last one. Subjective but i would use just a little fewer stars. A third or so less maybe.

Let's see.

Testing horizon fade with a surface layers altitude control.

WAS

Seems translation acts like a "Seed", which is a bit disappointing.

Improved the stars, added "super stars" or stars that are closer, take your pick. Could be either. Adjusted the nebula back to a reddish hue. Made the core larger. Added some simulated scattering to the dense nebula around the core. Changed the cosmic colour map to strengthen g-type in the more yellow spectrum.