Shadow pass

Started by rolland1013, May 07, 2018, 03:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Is there a way to create a shadow pass render element in TG?

WAS

Quote from: rolland1013 on May 07, 2018, 03:04:25 PM
Is there a way to create a shadow pass render element in TG?

I'm confused what you mean? Shadows need a surface to cast on. What are you trying to achieve? You could cover your surfaces in a surface layer with colour set to white. That upon final render will give you AO and shadows, as well as other effects you may be able to disable like the atmosphere.

rolland1013

My compositors are asking me to provide (if possible) an alpha pass of just shadows.  They want to ability to control the intensity/color temp of the shadows.

WAS

Quote from: rolland1013 on May 07, 2018, 03:26:28 PM
My compositors are asking me to provide (if possible) an alpha pass of just shadows.  They want to ability to control the intensity/color temp of the shadows.

Yeah in traditional programs I believe this is achieved via a solid surface, and shadows. I do not know if shadows themselves are a layer (I don't have layer elements and stuff in free version) but if it is, it would be possible I'd think. If not you can always do this in post processing with a white background like the final exports of some 3D programs like C4D

Oshyan

You can use the Shadow Catcher surface shader for this (Create Shader -> Surface Shader -> Shadow Catcher). Here also is a discussion on workarounds from before there was a Shadow Catcher:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=20472.0

- Oshyan

SILENCER

Might be  good time to have Surface Shadows as a render buffer channel.

I get comp wondering about that as well. "I don't get a shadow pass?"

* crickets*

I've also had to make depth passes with the distance shader to keep them happy, too.

Usually, though, they're just gobsmacked with the render quality i give them out of Terragen 4, so these are in a lot of situations "gee it would be nice".

The shader is cool, and certainly for isolating certain shadows.

But that shadow buffer would be a win.

Oshyan

There is a Depth pass...

- Oshyan