Version Change Logs

Started by jaf, May 08, 2018, 12:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

Is there a web page that lists the changes for each TG release?  I'm at the latest version I think (4.2.06.frontier).  The "About" has several "http" links but an Internet search shows a https link to the 4.1.11 release from 2017.  Is there a place all change logs can be seen? 
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

In the install folder for Terragen in the /Docs subfolder there is a changes.txt that lists all changes since 4.0. We update the website mostly for "major" updates, e.g. 4.1, 4.2.

- Oshyan

jaf

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Fansitery

I still do many things. Well not good enough I want everyone's opinions.

KlausK

Would anybody be so kind and copy&paste here what has changed between 4.1.21 and 4.2.06 frontier.
My maintenance has expired and this new version does not seem to be a free update. Would help to decide when to renew maintenance.
Thanks + CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Kadri

Quote from: KlausK on May 26, 2018, 03:38:19 PM
Would anybody be so kind and copy&paste here what has changed between 4.1.21 and 4.2.06 frontier.
My maintenance has expired and this new version does not seem to be a free update. Would help to decide when to renew maintenance.
Thanks + CHeers, Klaus

I am curious too. Anybody?

jaf

I tried to post it yesterday but it kept going to the new thread form (the new thread form also kept going to a blank new thread form.)

Oshyan

I'll update the website with it shortly, sorry about that.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Actually, since it's still a Frontier build (i.e. 4.2 is not "final" yet), I'll paste it here. I know people are getting Maintenance renewal messages, that's due to the Frontier release. It should go final soon and then we'll do a formal 4.2 announcement, including change log on the main site and here in the forums. But it's certainly an important issue you bring up, which is that the availability of Frontier releases and access to them being restricted to those on current Maintenance means that people might be notified of Maintenance renewal but not be able to see what they get for renewing now, unless they wait for a final release. We'll figure out a solution.

In the meantime here's the change log:

Build 4.2.06 (Frontier Build)

Rendering:

Much faster ray tracing of displaceable surfaces in some cases, especially where rays travel nearly parallel to the surface.

Export:

Micro Exporter allows you to choose which texture space to use for the exported UVs or UVWs. "Image UV (render projection)" or "UVW from Compute Terrain or Tex Coords)". You should select "Image UV (render projection)" if you want to use the rendered image as a texture for the exported object. You can use this with any type of camera, including spherical cameras.

Groups and Notes in Network View:

After moving groups with the mouse, those groups auto-capture any nodes they surround.
After resizing a group with the mouse, the group auto-captures any nodes it surrounds.
After moving or resizing a Group or Notes node, they snap to the grid in a similar way to other nodes. When you first use this on an existing project you may find that the contents of a group shift around a bit, but after they have snapped once they should behave predictably.
Until now, the resize handle along the top edge of a Group or Note was gradually reduced as we zoom out to make it easier to click on the title bar at low zoom, but this made it harder to grab the top edge for resizing. Other edges kept the same screen space size for the resize handle. Now, rather than making it progressively difficult to resize the top edge at low zoom, it's simply disabled when zoom is below a certain level. Left, right and bottom edges can still be grabbed at any zoom level.

Inputs and outputs in Network View:

Shaders' main input which was previously called "Input node" in the GUI is now called "Main input".
Labels are shown above some input plugs that have a connection to another node, even when you're not hovering over them. The labels fade out and disappear when zoom is below a certain level. To reduce clutter, "Main input" and "Input 2" are not labeled (except when hovering over them).
Gradually fade opacity of input/output arrows when zoomed very far out.

New preview options:

Heightfield Shader has a checkbox "Show b-box in preview". This controls whether previews should show a bounding box and manipulation handles for the heightfield.
Simple Shape Shader has a checkbox "Show b-box in preview". This controls whether previews should show a bounding box and manipulation handles for the shape. Moved "Draw shape edges" up alongside "Show b-box in preview".
Camera has new checkboxes "Show frustum in preview" and "Show path in preview" below the existing "Show camera body in preview". When showing neither the camera body nor the frustum, no manipulation handle is shown or selectable in the preview.

File and image handling:

Added "Reload File" to the popup menu for file parameters.
Renamed "Open Preview" to "Preview Image" in the popup menu for image file parameters.

Licenses and key files:

The Help menu has a new item called "Show License Info" which brings up a message box with detailed license info and options to copy that info to the clipboard.
The menu item "Reveal Licence Key File" is shown even when the license has expired.
Fixed problems auto-updating key files that have expired or are are invalid because of maintenance date.
Changes to splash screen for expired keys and keys that are invalid because of maintenance date: text more accurately describes the reason why it's running in non-commercial mode (expiry or maintenance date) and that text is coloured red. In this situation the "Buy Now" button is labeled "Upgrade/Renew" and opens a different URL in the browser.
If running in Free mode because of an expired license, when you check for updates it will still report available versions according to what type the license was before it expired.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Expiring license? What?
Did I missed something here? My key will expire at one point of time? When I bought the key it was not mentioned as far as I remember.
Pls explain.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

No, your key will not expire. *Some* licenses do, for example Educational Licenses expire after 1 year, though they can be renewed, and we also offer a 30 day (expiring) commercial evaluation license. Maintenance expiration is a different thing. All Terragen licenses now come with 1 year of Maintenance, which means updates and priority support. After that 1 year period you won't have access to newer updates unless you renew your Maintenance at the current cost of renewal. When we released TG4 the Maintenance policy was explained on the purchase pages and elsewhere, hopefully you were indeed aware of it. But your license will continue to work forever even if your Maintenance expires.

- Oshyan

Agura Nata

Thanks for the information :)
"Live and Learn!"