Printing

Started by mhaze, May 09, 2018, 07:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Ok, I have an image that is 1100x1200 pixels. I want to print it at 16" approx at 300dpi  how do I calculate the render size needed. I know the 300*16 bit but not how to translate the 1100*1200 bit.

archonforest

An A3(11x16 inches) sized document is 3508x4961 pixels in Photoshop.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Ah but how to upscale my image size 1100x1200 to roughly 16"

archonforest

Quote from: mhaze on May 09, 2018, 10:30:02 AM
Ah but how to upscale my image size 1100x1200 to roughly 16"

Where do you want to upscale the image? In Photoshop?

mhaze

No in terragen. I have an idea. Thanks for your ideas

Oshyan

You need both dimensions of your print size. Then you just calculate X dimension times 300 (DPI), and Y dimension times 300 and those correspond to your X and Y render dimensions that you specify in Terragen. Simple as that. Terragen does not do anything with DPI as it's a meaningless setting until you print something and can easily be specified in your image editor or at the time of printing. It has no effect on the actual image/render itself.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on May 09, 2018, 05:12:43 PM
... Terragen does not do anything with DPI as it's a meaningless setting until you print something and can easily be specified in your image editor or at the time of printing. It has no effect on the actual image/render itself.

Many brave 3D artists lost their nerves on the internet in the past by trying to explain that to regular print guys.

Sorry  ;D

Matt

Quote from: Kadri on May 09, 2018, 05:43:41 PM
Many brave 3D artists lost their nerves on the internet in the past by trying to explain that to regular print guys.

Sorry  ;D

I felt the same way trying to explain why CG cameras don't need focal length and film/sensor size when one simple FOV value encapsulates both. But I gave up and added all the things to Terragen's camera...

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on May 09, 2018, 08:47:14 PM
I felt the same way trying to explain why CG cameras don't need focal length and film/sensor size when one simple FOV value encapsulates both. But I gave up and added all the things to Terragen's camera...

Didn't thought about that until now actually. But yes makes sense :)

Dune

archonforest

Quote from: Kadri on May 09, 2018, 05:43:41 PM

Sorry  ;D

Matt

LOL!!!

Kadri

Matt just curious are there any other such things you put because of general acceptance?

René

Quote from: Kadri on May 10, 2018, 03:53:52 AM

Matt just curious are there any other such things you put because of general acceptance?

I think the renderer is one of those things. People are used to waiting long hours for the image to finish, they just don't expect anything else.

Matt

Kadri, I don't remember specific examples right now, but probably yes. Matching the user's expectations is generally a good thing - it is a fundamental of UX design. I only hesitate to do so when I think it makes things more complicated than they need to be.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.