Voronoi Rock, inspired by René

Started by Dune, May 11, 2018, 02:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

As the title says. The hard fractal warp additions to a base voronoi works really well.

Matt

The bright colours are refreshing. With a new technique come new eyes, it seems! :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Jo Kariboo

Very nice exploration! I like your original colors!

Kadri

Looks great and your colour choice is really different then your other work.

WAS

That last shot brings it all together. Really like these. I use to do a lot of voronoi rocks, been awhile.

Just a note, those weirdly shaped lichen could be possibly achieved with a warp shader and alpine displacement by the way. Both for colour, and perhaps into a displacement shader for displacement (or base displacement on a PF if it's not too warped). Round shapes maybe not so much, but could be mixed in from voronoi plumes and offset masks.

René

I think the last, test4, is the best, although I find the bright yellow somewhat distracting. Did you use Voronoi billows for the lichen? Perhaps if you make a transition from the yellow on the outside to a darker and less saturated colour in the middle. :)

Dune

I can understand that. It would be nicer if there were just one or two lichened rocks and grasses for the rest. I have to do some work on those anyway. They are not voronoi, but normal billowed pf. Voronoi might be better, perhaps even the blue node voronoi.

Oshyan

Lichen come in a wide variety of colors, including something similar to what you used in your images. Though it's a tad bright/"neon" and too uniform. It should be broken up and slightly desaturated, perhaps. But the basic color is pretty correct, again depending on the variety/species of lichen and its location.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lichen+sierra+nevada&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=uqL8Y1jbhdCayM%253A%252CoNwH2MTzUd8zKM%252C_&usg=__3AZ_Ag3kgwqT_uTFx26yHwIPRCM%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBtMGU6IPbAhXLwlQKHbytAr0Q9QEISzAE#imgrc=uqL8Y1jbhdCayM:

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks Oshyan. I've worked on the lichen a bit more (though in this iteration, I may have masked out too much). I noticed that I did use the voronoi billows after all, but now applied a little warp to get the 'fringed' edges.
Color variety is enormous, but may also depend on the photography. I also attempted to get less saturated centres, with fringes that were freshly colored, succeeded a bit, but I didn't find it the case in many lichens, so I dropped it again.

DocCharly65

Very beautiful! I like the rocks and the vegetation. Cool devlopment of the lichen!

mhaze

Dune

Thanks. Another iteration.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd