Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Having seen a lot of this kind of lichen in person, I think all this really needs is some breakup and darker+lighter rough elements (especially the latter) in each patch. If you look closely at this kind of lichen it has dark and sometimes light(er) parts, especially at the edges, and although it appears flat, technically it has a little depth, and you see the darker stuff from the side especially ("underneath").

- Oshyan

Dune

Yes, it's too uniform still. But there's depth; offset and small displacement, slightly different in each 'species', you just don't see it well on this scale.

Hannes

I think this is a tough one. Making the lichen look realistic without the impression of a paintball playground is quite difficult I assume...

Dune

Yes, indeed. I think it's better suited for loose rocks, or on tree trunks or so.
Anyway, got it working with the centers dying out again, and three species non overlapping. I do think the patch size should be increased. It's a very diverse size now, but can also be pretty all-the-same.
The big one (7) has some nasty cracks, which I took out in the smaller test. Done with this again.

René

You nailed it! The lichen looks much better in the last two images. Sometimes simple things can be quite difficult. :)

Hannes

DocCharly65

I compared with some of bobbys links and I can say: your's are really good looking lichen! :)

Oshyan

Yep, much better and quite realistic now! Just need to perfect the rock surface they're sitting on and you've got photorealism. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

I've zoomed in a bit (and increased sizes and made a more regular lichen base shape), but have an issue now. There's a lot of 'speckling', also in the preview it looks like the triangles are torn apart. Strange, and I'm trying to find out what it is. May have to do with the basic voronoi.
Also there are regular patterns in the rock, but I think those are due to smallscale displacements and the 256 limit, so every 256 (what?) the pattern is repeated. I may have to mix two of those patterns to see if it goes.

About the lichen colors; I also found that if I pick the color values from photo's (PS), in TG they always turn up too bright. So the yellow is too bright again.

Kadri

Are the scales too small? You might remember an old thread when going too close-small scale there was a distinctive look.
Not sure if this is still the case or even related although.

René

Quote from: Dune on May 18, 2018, 01:21:27 AM
I've zoomed in a bit (and increased sizes and made a more regular lichen base shape), but have an issue now. There's a lot of 'speckling', also in the preview it looks like the triangles are torn apart.

Is it possible that you are inside of something?

Dune

No, cam is not inside a rock or so. Scales may be too small somewhere indeed, I will have a look. At first I thought I found the culprit; a color adjust, but apparently in the latest test there's still the tiny dots. I will investigate further....  >:(