Object Transparency Problem

Started by Chris-HB, May 12, 2018, 09:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris-HB

I am currently stuck in a problem with object transparency in Terragen 4 (free version). Maybe some members here can help me.

The plant model in question has been created in Vue and renders fine there. But I like to use it in a Terragen landscape and atmosphere. When I export the model from Vue as an OBJ file and load this file into Terragen, the model itself will be accepted, but it does not look the way it should.

To illustrate the problem, I have attached a sample scene and the texture files I get from Vue: the texture map itself, the alpha map, bump map, displacement map and normal map. I need the teeth of the model, not the "cardboard" around them.

I already know a workaround for transparency of XFrog trees in Bryce, where there is usually the same problem with the leaves. But in Terragen, I am totally lost. I do not even find the relevant modules within the software....

Does anybody know a solution? It must be a common problem, I guess.

Dune

Seems like you have to use 'dragon skin a' for the opacity input, but not using alpha. I tend to use tiffs with an alpha channel, but this method with a greyscale extra 'a'map is 'cheaper'. Thouigh I sometimes think the alpha is checked by default, so you might get into trouble if you don't check.
Hope this solves your problem.

dragonskin b is for bump obviously, but you have to enter that manually too.

Oshyan

More specifically, you need to go into the texture settings for the part of the object that is supposed to be transparent and set the opacity image manually. Generally the easiest way to do this is with the Node List ("tree") on the left of the Objects layout. Expand the "tree" beneath your object until it shows the individual texture nodes (usually handled with Default Shaders). Find the one you're looking for, probably something like "leaf" or "needle" (at least for a normal tree, though if you modeled it yourself it may depend on what you named it). Then go to the Opacity tab and load the image Ulco mentioned for Opacity Image. You probably want to uncheck Use Alpha Channel too. See attached poorly drawn image.

Once you get it working you can save the object as a TGO and it will maintain these settings so it just works next time you load it in Terragen.

- Oshyan

Chris-HB

Thank you, Dune and Oshyan. Your tips were very helpful and solved the problem.
I assume that exporting a TGO object is only available in the full version of Terragen. At least I did not find it in my menues.

WAS

Quote from: Chris-HB on May 31, 2018, 01:31:11 AM
Thank you, Dune and Oshyan. Your tips were very helpful and solved the problem.
I assume that exporting a TGO object is only available in the full version of Terragen. At least I did not find it in my menues.

You should be able to export as a TGO. You just need to right click the object and select Save Object, and than change the type to TGO in the save prompt.

Chris-HB

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 31, 2018, 02:14:34 AM
You should be able to export as a TGO. You just need to right click the object and select Save Object, and than change the type to TGO in the save prompt.

Yes, you are Right. Thank you!  :)