Volume Density Glass Shader

Started by WAS, May 12, 2018, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

What actually is it? Is the effect seen here correct, or is this a limitation of free quality settings? This is not double sided, as I want volume, but...

Seems density map is just a noise for transparency. Ether solid or transparent. There is a visible glowing light source behind and to the right (opposite of the sun) of this cube with a sun with it's strength turned down. When I lower the density, the blackness takes over, and there is less "solid" pixels. Acting a lot like transparency. For example, if I use  a map for the density, grays of a certain level are just transparent, or if beyond that threshold, completely solid.

The only lighting from the light source (which is very very bright) that can be seen from behind the cube is one single light pixel on the right round cube border. Lol

When I ramp up the decay distance, we can see the opposite borders of the cube, but they are not effected by the light source, and seem to be just the sun (light source 1e+006 100), and now only two pixels effected by the light source if it's on.

WAS

Using a base glass shader, and merging with the texture I want seems to provide the volume I want in colour and look when it's overlayed over the surface of the planet. When it's over the atmosphere, it seems to loose this density immediately without any sort of falloff.

Still, the light source is ignored except random spots on the surface it seems

Forgot to turn off the displacement in my colour PFs, but oh well, looks nice nonetheless.