Standing on the Moon

Started by rolland1013, May 19, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a shot where I'm standing on the surface of the Moon.  I've been able to come up with a decent look for the mid-ground and background, but the foreground is proving more of a challenge.  I've tried very small fake stones to achieve the chaulky/powdery nature of the lunar terrain.  But it's not fine enough in detail.  Has anyone done something like this?  Is there a better approach you'd be willing to recommend?

Thanks,
Niel

WAS

Quote from: rolland1013 on May 19, 2018, 03:35:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a shot where I'm standing on the surface of the Moon.  I've been able to come up with a decent look for the mid-ground and background, but the foreground is proving more of a challenge.  I've tried very small fake stones to achieve the chaulky/powdery nature of the lunar terrain.  But it's not fine enough in detail.  Has anyone done something like this?  Is there a better approach you'd be willing to recommend?

Thanks,
Niel

Hmm it seems small scale displacements are needed on some of your surfaces and masked in with distribution variance. In fact, if you take a look at my moss shader I just submitted in Materials, some of the ideas there could possibly be translated over as they're very small scale displacements (besides the base round displacements)

Additionally, I have found the Occlusion Weight and Bounce to the Ounce (GI -> Image Pass) play a role in very fine detail (at least what I can perceive; citation needed?).

Edit: Also! Great job so far! It looks great! The colour variations are really nice from afar, though I wonder if their scale was increased this awesomeness would be multiplied.

rolland1013

Hey Wasa,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion and the shader. 

I wish I could take credit for the images I posted, those are actual photos from the Apollo Moon landings.  I probably should have clarified what they were, my bad.  But that is the look I'm going for.

Niel

Dune

You won't get close enough to see if the smallest fake stones shaders if this POV is what you're after. If you mix a few perlin PF's with rather small scales (centimeters and decimeters), and perhaps one full coverage tiny fake stones (0.005), you can get pretty close.

rolland1013

Thanks Dune,

I'll give that a go.

N.