hard shadows

Started by Dune, May 20, 2018, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm having trouble getting rid of a hard shadow, and I'm getting a bit pissed of. I hope someone can have a look at this face and tell me what's causing it. Afaik everything is alright, and it doesn't make a difference if I set Poseray to 35º normal calculation or smooth normals, the hard edge is still there.
Especially when applying bump, the edge really gets awful.

Kadri

It looks ok to me. Is there any displacement on the face in the scene? Negative one?
Maybe the other parts are the problem? Nice work by the way. That hair, what do you use?

Exact position of the face and the light would help too.

Kadri

Render.

Dune

Strange that your render looks ok. It's this part. I don't know the sun angle from my head.
And yes, there's 0.002 displacement on this. And then it really hits.

Hair is ZB fibremesh. I bit too thick, but I'm trying to get the hang of it. Learning every day. Clothes still need refinement too.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on May 20, 2018, 11:02:59 AM
Hair is ZB fibremesh. I bit too thick, but I'm trying to get the hang of it....

I like it.

masonspappy

Don't know how applicable this is to PoseRay, but when I get a problem like that with Blender-created objects it's usually because I didn't set Shading parameter in Blender to "Smooth".

Dune

That's waht I did:
Quoteit doesn't make a difference if I set Poseray to 35º normal calculation or smooth normals
I'll try again and/or prepare a tgd.

René

Could it be the occlusion weight in the Image Pass?

Dune

What do you mean, René? I didn't use any additional maps, other than the colors and a bumpmap, and with a very low value 0.002. But perhaps 2mm is even too much.
I did try something else; taking the bumpmap through pixplant, which took out some of the finest details in the skin, while keeping the hairs white and crisp. And apparently that helps a bit.

René

I meant the render GI settings. I think it looks ok now, unless you need close-ups.

Dune

Ah, that's what you mean. Thanks. It's not that, though it sometimes gives nasty stripes. Good reminder anyway.

j meyer

Tested with your face and a similar 'make human' head and I think it's the
usual jagged shadows issue in conjunction with the also known displ/bump
thing. So more polies will get rid of the jaggies and less displ and/or the
pixplant-cure will mitigate the displ/bump issue.

Dune

I've tested with a subdivided face too, but then I get just smaller hard edges. I think it's the 'overall whiteness' of the bumpmap that lifts the whole curved are out of its calculation zone, so to speak, and messes with the calculated depths/shadows. I've had this discussion with Matt a few years ago, I remembered yesterday. The Pixplant treatment made the bumpmap more diverse and darker, so I have to keep that in mind. A small offset also helps. Bumping everything is just no good.
Thanks Jochen.

Hannes

Dune

I'm pretty satisfied now.