Disguised cloud doodles

Started by Kadri, May 21, 2018, 05:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Thanks.

Quote from: Oshyan on May 22, 2018, 02:49:59 AM
... That being said Displacement doesn't work at all for clouds, so you'll need to change (e.g. warp) the volumetric shapes to get any changes, rather than thinking about normal surface displacement.

Yes it is a limited kind of technique and needs a different approach as you said.
It can look quite solid and usable if needed. You might remember this unused image from my short video.

Dune

How about rendertimes with such thick clouds? Doable?

Lady of the Lake

Kadri

Thanks.

Ulco, i don't remember the old image render time but the scene i shared on page one took under 1 hour i think.

luvsmuzik

It took 20min 47 sec on my 16G using image texture. Rendering it with a PF for color now. Thanks for the method on that.  :)

I tried this with a warp and vector displacement as a surface layer mask a few months ago (Cirrus Sunrise) with the help of Dune and Hetzen . I did not know how to displace it upward, but maybe just surface layer displace would do it.

Edit I should have said..Surface layer mask on a terrain, No clouds involved.

Oshyan

luvsmusic, if you're talking about using displacement with a cloud layer, as previously noted cloud layers don't do anything with displacement data, only color. So displacement-oriented shaders will likely not affect the outcomes, or will do so in unexpected ways.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on May 22, 2018, 03:45:44 PM
luvsmusic, if you're talking about using displacement with a cloud layer, as previously noted cloud layers don't do anything with displacement data, only color. So displacement-oriented shaders will likely not affect the outcomes, or will do so in unexpected ways.

- Oshyan

say what? Then how are we making all these nebulae?  I guess I did not use the correct terminology.  Sorry.

Oshyan

That's warping, which acts on texture/color space, not displacement. There are multiple types of data in Terragen that flow through the node network. Displacement is one of the, Color (or Colour if you're British :D) is another. Some shaders operate on Color data, others on Displacement (and some on both). Clouds take in 3D color data (volumetric RGB information) and visualize it with a volumetric shading system, but because it is volumetric and not a surface, it doesn't use Displacement data, and Displacement-specific shaders and functions don't operate on RGB/color data.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

In these psychedelic warps I am doing I am using a vector displacement shader, like we do roads and such on a SSS. So therefore, I confused myself.

J_Con

I don't really understand whats going on there, but it looks stunning.Well done. Amazing looking texture.