Secondary River Erosion

Started by WAS, May 27, 2018, 03:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I am trying to play around with rivers. I tried to make a quick little mountain from a SSS and some low level PF details and warping, eroded nicely. However, when I erode with a second shader, set to rivers mode, it seems to ignore displacement I feel it should be creating rivers from. Is this normal? Or?

Dune

I don't know, but you could try a sideline with the second erosion, and just use the flow/river depth output pulled back in as displacement, and experiment with that. And did you check the things that need to be checked, such as render details and such?
But it might well be that it calculates roughly from the whole SSS.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 28, 2018, 01:42:45 AM
I don't know, but you could try a sideline with the second erosion, and just use the flow/river depth output pulled back in as displacement, and experiment with that. And did you check the things that need to be checked, such as render details and such?
But it might well be that it calculates roughly from the whole SSS.

The maps would be useless as it isn't eroding what should be eroded it seems. The rivers are random on flat terrain and do not come from elevated terrain for some reason.

Render original heightfield details seems to cause more error (rivers further from base erosion). Could be since there is no original heightfield besides what DKCE creates.

I made a new file to try with a simple SSS and nothing else and the rivers seem to now come from the mountain. It appears the calculation doesn't "favor" high rises, and seems to just pick at random where rivers should come from. Though the rivers don't align correctly with sloping with just base erosion without utilizing maps in separate displacement.

Looking at the river map, it just seems odd, most the rivers start outside of the SSS boundary when I disable the main erosion.