Two small problems

Started by Kadri, May 30, 2018, 12:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

1-) Have a look at the example file below.

* Open the file.
* Double click on the "Planet 02" node.
* Right click on the "+" icon in the right side of the "surface shader" below and go to "Assign Shader".
* When you want to use then the "Power fractal shader v3 01" node nothing happens.
   You can only assign this node, that is outside of the planet node,
   when you delete the node with the same name in the planet node network itself.

First time i see the new naming shame to be kind of a problem.

2-) Go to the "Water shader 02" node and double click to open it.
When you try to change any settings you won't see the changes in the render preview or render.

If you pay attention it is easy to see why (the node isn't enabled and does have a different name) but it can be confusing.
There is actually a disabled "Water shader 01" node exactly over the "Water shader 02".
When you left click on the "Water shader 02" and drag it you can see that you actually clicked on a disabled "Water shader 01"node.

How it happened i don't know, but took me 5 minutes to  understand why it didn't work.

Dune

I understand the problem, and I think the 'same name' thing is not always handy indeed. I sometimes get loose links because of nodes made or imported that carry the same name.
I tried your file in an older version and there the node view PF was renamed with the _1 behind it, so I coudn't test properly.
The main thing is that it's VERY IMPORTANT to rename the nodes you use with an appropriate description. Makes it easier to understand complex networks too.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 30, 2018, 01:22:11 AM
I understand the problem, and I think the 'same name' thing is not always handy indeed. I sometimes get loose links because of nodes made or imported that carry the same name.
I tried your file in an older version and there the node view PF was renamed with the _1 behind it, so I coudn't test properly.
The main thing is that it's VERY IMPORTANT to rename the nodes you use with an appropriate description. Makes it easier to understand complex networks too.

I've been starting to do that a lot. Especially if you're using the shader for something specific it's not exactly commonly for. Unique names definitely help with disconnected nodes, though I have encountered them with completely unique named subnode networks.

Kadri

Yes always renaming the nodes is the best as it could be confusing too as you said.
Curious why Matt didn't choose "01, 02,...".

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on May 30, 2018, 10:21:37 AM

Yes always renaming the nodes is the best as it could be confusing too as you said.
Curious why Matt didn't choose "01, 02,...".

When you create shaders with right click, they are created that way. Wonder why duplicating shaders couldn't do the same incremental increase based on the last shader number.