Mountains w.i.p.

Started by René, June 01, 2018, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Mountains w.i.p.

René

w.i.p.

WAS

Still love this, but my thought still comes to mind. I really love the foreground in the second image (the close vegetation) but I love the density of the first. Like I mentioned on FB, in a tropical untouched setting, there wouldn't be bare spots like without some sort of terrain change, landslides, solid rock, human intervention, or dead topsoil, which wouldn't be very common in a tropical setting unless some sort of volcanic interference.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

This is the opening pan for the new Jurrasic movie, right? WELL DONE! :)

Oshyan

Agree with WAS, the density of the 1st one, but the foreground/aspect ratio/perspective of the 2nd. But both are excellent. :D

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Interesting shapes. But the light is the main attraction to me, very thick and moist.

René

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 01, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
Still love this, but my thought still comes to mind. I really love the foreground in the second image (the close vegetation) but I love the density of the first. Like I mentioned on FB, in a tropical untouched setting, there wouldn't be bare spots like without some sort of terrain change, landslides, solid rock, human intervention, or dead topsoil, which wouldn't be very common in a tropical setting unless some sort of volcanic interference.

Good point. Although in a lot of pictures there is less vegetation on the slopes.

DannyG

Excellent work as always Rene. If I may comment, the cumulus layer at the top of the mountains seem too bright perhaps decreasing the Glow amount / power and color
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

The really steep slopes do have less vegetation, yes. But you can see the shift is fairly quick from cliff/rock to vegetation, and there is no vegetation only on quite steep areas.

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Very nice and impressive work!

René

Another iteration. In high resolution, the rocks look too busy. I am also struggling with the distribution of the trees. In order to get the billowing effect you often see when you look at forests from afar, I've made displacements of Perlin billows and fake stones beneath the vegetation. Unfortunately, there are now some bad stones popping up.
Actually, I want to group the trees more or less by species, but because there are seven of them, making masks will be very complicated. Is it possible to give masks a specific colour, i.e. red for species a, blue for species b, etc.?

Dune

This is already looking great. There is one area that needs some attention, IMO; the steep area, where there ar still trees, but they look a bit out of place, somehow. Perhaps they should rotate more to the axes, or use a different species, or give the wall more roughness.... or just less slope restraint (maybe even locally), so it covers up more.

How about multiplying the final mask by a constant color?
You could also make some sort of random RGB masks in PS that don't overlap and use that as a basis.