Mountains w.i.p.

Started by René, June 01, 2018, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I am still struggling with the light on the vegetation.

DannyG

Oh yeah, this is looking very nice
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

As a whole it looks really great, but I share your feeling about the struggle; I think you have too much translucency in the main foliage, which is kind of blurring the canopies together. It shows especially in shadowy areas. Did you try less translucency (only 0.2 or so) and setting opacity of the leaves to 0.6 or so? That won't darken the shadows as much as opacity of 1.

mhaze

Looking Impressive as it is but I think I might reduce GI.

René

I'm going to try less translucency and see if it helps. I don't understand what less opacity does; I thought that the possibility of that setting was only 'yes' or 'no'.
The biggest problem is the hard, deep shadows, which I just can't lose. That's also why I set GI (mhaze) to 2. Possibly this is due to the density of the foliage, so that no light can pass through.

DocCharly65

Quote from: mhaze on June 24, 2018, 05:50:58 AM
Looking Impressive as it is but I think I might reduce GI.

That was my first thought too. I know a similar effect only with DOF on and high difference between aparture diametre and focus distance and  with high settings of occlusion weights in GISD. Then sometimes I get a bright border around objects.

But I don't think that is the problem, right? 
Watching some leaves in detail, I could guess that perhaps changes in the specular settings could help as well.
What about reducing reflectivity and/or reflection tint. Just an idea...
Hope you find the solution.

But in general an extremely realistic and nice render!

Dune

Opacity still has influence on shadows I found out a while ago, and since then I use it quite a lot to get more light within canopies. But don't go under 0.50001, or it's indeed zeroed.
Maybe another (less strong) sunlight with very soft shadows right above?

DocCharly65

Sorry - I think I missunderstood the problem. Looking again I saw the too dark shadows. I hope Ulco's suggestion works:

René

Thanks for the tips and explanations. I continue to experiment, but on the other hand I have been working on this for far too long, which clouds my critical abilities. Maybe it's time for a break.

René

I have tried another light incidence, and a picture of density of the basic vegetation.
Don't mind the bare trees; I'm going to adjust them.

René

I have added an extra sun straight from above (soft shadows), as Dune suggested, and it seems to be paying off. I have also removed the fog that may have been part of the problem.

Dune

Yes, that looks so much better!

bobbystahr

Indeed and KUDOs to you Dune for that tip...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Looks perfect now, though I loved that fog a bit.

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 26, 2018, 03:06:28 AM
Looks perfect now, though I loved that fog a bit.

Me too. But all in all a great improvement.