Potholes WIP

Started by WAS, June 02, 2018, 05:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Some work on the Asphalt shader. We now have embedded gravel in the tar and debris (hard to see at this scale). Today I spent work on the potholes. No longer just divots with cracks, we not have divots, and in divots that are strong, potholes. All procedural, of course.

It's hard to get the lighting on the asphalt to look right in TG, but with some post work, you can make it look like it's lit by a bright sun and contrasted in a image.

I imagine, and sure hope, the edges and such would only look nicer with a good quality settings and GI settings.

masonspappy

Hey, that last image is really good. Looks just like the roads around where I live  :P

Dune

Agreed, looks good. Here's one I did 4 years ago.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 03, 2018, 01:42:48 AM
Agreed, looks good. Here's one I did 4 years ago.

Looks great! I am actually working on the wetness surface layer and mud puddles now which I'll include in the shader disabled.

Rendering a WIP now.

And thanks everyone.

WAS

Here is a early wip of the potholes with the muddy puddles plane, wet surface layer, and overflow dust/dirt staining

Dune

WAS

Thank you! And here is another wip with some more adjustments to taste and an added quick post process in Photoshop, namely some more ambient occlusion, contrast, and exposure.

DocCharly65

Oh cool! that looks really great! What will come out of this hole? Brrrr - scary! :)
That idea 1 year earlier and I would have had a better idea where my Kansas-witch would have come from :)

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 03, 2018, 03:56:08 AM
Oh cool! that looks really great! What will come out of this hole? Brrrr - scary! :)
That idea 1 year earlier and I would have had a better idea where my Kansas-witch would have come from :)

Hehehe, Thank you.

Also I notice my muddy puddle got super muddy. Still looks nice but I liked the settling mud idea better... imagine it looks like this...
[attachimg=1]

DocCharly65

J_Con

I didn't think i would be saying this today, but very impressive potholes.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Agreed, very nice work indeed!

Not sure what issue you're having with the lighting (newer images look better), but it seems like your sun angle is a bit low, and if you don't have a bright atmosphere, or objects around to bounce light into there, then it will tend to be a bit dark.

- Oshyan

Lady of the Lake

It's just getting better and better.