Neanderthals

Started by Dune, June 04, 2018, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Dune that's outstanding!!

DocCharly65

Agree with the others! Impressive!  :)

Also agree with your own meaning about the reflection (you mean the dark cloud reflection in the foreground?)

A minor suggestion, if both renders will appear on the same page in the book: Perhaps you could divide the flock of ducks into two flocks in one of the two pictures? Maybe I am too influenced by 3D / render technics and common book readers would not recognize but that could avoid the impression of two times used the same ducks.

bobbystahr

Great action shot, not sure if I agree on the cloud reflections...seems O K/natural to me
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

They will appear on different pages and the flock has already been rotated, so I guess it's quite okay. Otherwise it would have seemed 'too easy' indeed  ;)

There's a dark cloud and then abruptly some blue reflecting, which annoys me. Almost looks like some sort of rapid.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 01, 2018, 10:25:42 AM

There's a dark cloud and then abruptly some blue reflecting, which annoys me. Almost looks like some sort of rapid.

I understand.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, this will change anyway; they thought it would be nice to have a snow covered scene...

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on October 02, 2018, 01:32:19 AM
Well, this will change anyway; they thought it would be nice to have a snow covered scene...
Well then this should be the jacket image.  Look at it this way, now you get to make outerwear fur hats and dressings!

Dune

Indeed.  Still WIP of course...

DocCharly65

So great again! Do you know the "Ulco-effect"? It's if someone does a WIP that looks better than other's finals ;)

Dune

:P

But it's not too hard at all; just a painted (Photoshop) mask for the stream (which could have been warped SSS, but it had to be exact), then a compute normal, then a lateral offset from a surface shader masked by that same stream mask (but a bit whiter [color adjust], to effect only the stream area), then some snow colors (look for old snow and ice clip), masked by a PF for some areas of less snow. Offset the snow a bit and add some soft displacements upward only, so from a color PF. That way the grasses sitting on the node before that would stay below the snow 'layer' where it thickens.
The local rough areas where the vertebrates are masked by soft SSS's (piled in line), added some downward voronoi billow holes, and some fake stone clumps (and the blood spatters), masked by that line. Because the sides of those clumps would have lost their snow color when using slope constraints, I didn't use that.

Dune

Update.

N-drju

This is WIP Ulco? Man, just publish it already and sell it to highest bidder. ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Client just mailed he was satisfied, so I guess this is it. Now make it hi-res....

Hannes

Fantastic! As usual, Ulco! Well done!