Automatic tgd Save

Started by jaf, June 05, 2018, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

Would it be possible to add an option similar to the automatic render save (in preferences) to save the current tgd file?  I try to save quite often but every once I a while I forget (many times if I'm interrupted and forget I started a render that's hidden under the tgd file and I start making changes and cause a crash.)  The tgd files are relatively small compared to the image files and storage is cheap now days.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

How about saving incrementally (edit preferences)?

jaf

As I wrote in the first entry of this thread, I had forgotten I had started a render when I got back to my computer after being interrupted.  Yes, if I saved each and every time I made a change, I would only lose one version, but that's simply not practical.

Actually, I think one shouldn't be able to make any changes to the source (tgd) when a render is active -- doing so would result in a warning message "render active ......."
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

The latter would be a good option. Though it never happens to me, as I always have the render window on top.

jaf

I have my one PC set up to render 8 cores/8 threads (instead of all cores/16 or 64 threads) so I can use Lightwave and Sublime Text and other apps during renders.  Plus keep a safer cpu temp on warm days.  So I can have many windows open.  I can't remember TG crashing except if I do something dumb (like editing a tgd during a render.)

All my gripes with TG are minor -- just irritants.  Like why can't I crop render several times without erasing the render window (so I can render in vertical or horizontal strips to compare changes -- like to clouds.) 

I hope the UI improvements Oshyan mentioned have some type of user inputs (not just from beta testers.) TG is my favorite and most used app.  :D

Dune

I see. I have another machine doing my (semi)final renders. Regarding comparison; I use Irfanview a lot. When a crop is done (I mainly work in screensize at first, or use another camera closer to the area I want to check), I hit PrintScreen, open Iview and hit CTRL+V (Iview can stay on top), crop the part, do another crop with different settings, and can directly compare changes. Same works for larger sized renders too, but then you have to really save the render and open it. I usually do that later on.