tundra

Started by Dune, June 07, 2018, 09:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Do these look natural to you guys? Wet tundra with permafrost in an icy period of time, though high summer. Low 'valley' with areas around the river valley only 2-5m higher. Thus a slight difference in vegetation. Icecap is hundreds of km's away, so invisible. I don't know yet if the sandy parts are needed, but I guess they are.
Any suggestions welcome.
The trouble with these things is that sizes are hard to see (river is about 80m wide). Trees are a nogo, but maybe I can put some mammoth in there....

luvsmuzik

Great beginnings! Great colors and displacement.

Is your final scene to be from this POV as if it is a high altitude view, flying over for exploration or mapping purposes?  I am thinking as if you are flying and as you get lower and lower in altitude, things become more focused and details appear.

Dune

This is the final POV, from 200m high. They want to see the river meander, but also some detail. Always difficult in flat country.

KlausK

Hi Ulco,
the landscape looks quite believable to me. But as you mentioned, without any recognizable size indicator it could be any scale.
While I like the the test-7 better, the sand takes away the very sharp edges. For me the sandy parts could be smaller, thinner.
Especially from 200m high. Everything feels a little bit smaller in overall scale.
Without the lighter sandy structures in the water the river "feels" wider to me. Just some sort of "Bauchgefuehl". ;)

Would it be possible to have a few boulders, glacier erratic (from the dictionary...), boulder clumps? Perhaps they would help to indicate size too.
My first impressions. CHeers, Klaus.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks Klaus. Boulders are a nogo too, as this is an area where the glaciers never got, and it was just sandy/clay. Too bad, but I've just seen that some mammoth give a nice size impression too.

WAS

For me I do have a sense of scale, but that may be just my understanding of river systems and geology.

However I do think #1 works the best, while more browns may be believable to most I feel at the scale we are at, with lighting, atmosphere and haze, our browns will be a little washed with darker hues. Not to mention grime and muck from further rotting dead plants.

One thing I feel though is the dead and rotting falloff to lush non-water bogged plants is a little random, and doesn't follow the rivers water table as well as it could.

Kadri

You get always easy looking but actually hard to do things as it looks Ulco :)
From images i saw searched with Google they look a little more on the brown side, i don't know.
To me it looks OK. I would just use a little more vivid colours nothing more probably.
You could cheat maybe just a little by going a little lower and showing more detail,
displacement on the front and raise the background gradually to the horizon but not sure if this could work in your case.

Dune

Thanks for your feedback. I too prefer the one with a little sand here and there, as it is less boring, but it really depends on the customer (who should tell me what underground she needs). I prefer a river with large sandy and bouldery areas, with higher elevations grown by veggies, but that may not be the case here.
Yes, Kadri, even to get this simple river, needs a lot of nodes and masks. Growing more complicated as I want more. Like the offstream polygonal elevations, with rotting low areas in between, and small cracklike watery areas in those, where the vegetation is also less pronounced. These showed better in my previous post with the more detailed marshland, however. The upland area I gave a little more greens, and since the elevation is so gradual (read from the maps) I made it a bit random indeed. Maybe I can make it tighter.
I still need the pollen data from this era, so it may all change (to more vividnes too).

The elevation of terrain to distance should work, but I don't know how strong I would need to make the effect to be helpful, and if it wouldn't be a bit strange, so I'll leave it like this for the moment. 

René

Nice colours and textures! I think it looks real, although I have no idea what it should actually look like. A few mammoths should indeed be able to depict the scale better, provided that a mammoth would want to be in that place. :)
Maybe a little low clouds/mist can convey more depth and scale.

J_Con

Looks very natural and real. If it was printed in national geographic as a photo nobody would bat an eyelid.

bobbystahr

maybe even super natural...I agree to the NatGeo comment previous.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks, guys. Good to know. Mammoths would have roamed that area, as their bones are still found in sediments in what is now the North Sea. This is a river system that flows down into that area. I regret the icecap is far (at least 500k) beyond the horizon.

archonforest

Very nice. Are the mammoths are coming? I think it would be a nice addition.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

masonspappy

Quote from: archonforest on June 09, 2018, 03:39:50 AM
Very nice. Are the mammoths are coming? I think it would be a nice addition.
Or perhaps mammoth bones/tusks?

Agura Nata

Well done, there is still a mammoth missing, smile :)
"Live and Learn!"