Foam methods

Started by luvsmuzik, June 07, 2018, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I am again trying to work from this set up, found in tutorials by WASquatch.

Below is shown my workspace and result. Trying to show you fractal scales. Perhaps I am not adjusting color adjust correctly or have the wrong node? Are you using the displacement in the base and low color PF?
Any explanation of what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.  :)  Two years since I first tried this, perhaps now I can understand the explanation.

WAS

I do not have a computer to check but it is likely the colour adjust for the mask. It is something you have to customize to your wave displacement. Additionally you don't want clamped colours so you can go above white for detail.

Dune

This would not be working, luvs. If you want to use this method to mask, you need a displacement to scalar function from the water first, then use the color adjust for the altitude range of the waves. No real need for the color to greyscale either.
But for simpler you can also use a white (but ~50%) surface shader after the water shader and use the altitudes range (and a foamy fractal as mask), with some fuzzy for foam.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 08, 2018, 01:56:57 AM
This would not be working, luvs. If you want to use this method to mask, you need a displacement to scalar function from the water first, then use the color adjust for the altitude range of the waves. No real need for the color to greyscale either.
But for simpler you can also use a white (but ~50%) surface shader after the water shader and use the altitudes range (and a foamy fractal as mask), with some fuzzy for foam.

Simpler, but creates a fuzzy fall-off, that doesn't follow displacement. Looks very fake at any sort of close ranges like at a shore.

Also didn't even notice there was no disp to scalar.

I do a Disp to Scalar and than a redundant colour to grayscale. Drop the colour to grayscale. It also seems I entirely forget to mention the disp to scalar in that tutorial. I'll need to edit that.

Dune

QuoteSimpler, but creates a fuzzy fall-off, that doesn't follow displacement.
How so? Depends on the fuzzy zone you set. It's actually the same as using the displacement to scalar where the color adjust sets the 'fuzzy' zone.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 08, 2018, 02:19:21 AM
QuoteSimpler, but creates a fuzzy fall-off, that doesn't follow displacement.
How so? Depends on the fuzzy zone you set. It's actually the same as using the displacement to scalar where the color adjust sets the 'fuzzy' zone.

I don't see how that is relevant. One creates a mask based on displacement, giving you definition/contrast between ridges and slopes and small ridges and lower scales, and a surface altitude that is defined by Y and straight cutoff in a line on a X & Z, fuzzy or not. They're entirely separate approaches with different effects. It's literally the point of why I wrote the tutorial. 

You can use slopes angles, haven't tried. Or maybe use the displacement shader duplicated, with colour, and used as breakup for the surface layer, may give a interesting effect. That is how the Multi-Layered clouds obtain cloud-like shapes on Y falloff, the base density is used as breakup to create the clouds tops and bottoms.

Dune

I'm not going to discuss this, really, but in my opinion displacement to scalar does not use slope or lateral displacements like in displacement to vector, but only the altitude ('Y' sort of) differences between displaced and undisplaced terrain/lake/whatever. In that respect it's exactly the same as the altitude settings in a surface shader.
I'd be curious to know other's opinions though.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 08, 2018, 03:47:36 AM
I'm not going to discuss this, really, but in my opinion displacement to scalar does not use slope or lateral displacements like in displacement to vector, but only the altitude ('Y' sort of) differences between displaced and undisplaced terrain/lake/whatever. In that respect it's exactly the same as the altitude settings in a surface shader.
I'd be curious to know other's opinions though.

How do you figure.... A surface layer isn't creating contrast based on the terrain. It's solid. With gradient its fuzzy, or masked fuzzy zone is broke up..... There is no transition from displacement detail. Maybe you need a working TGD to see the obvious difference a disp to scalar mask follows in what appears and is masked out based on contrast from white to black.

Lateral vector displacement is irrelevant too.

WAS

You can see in this screenshot foam follows the rough preaks that spread from the uppermost peaks,  staying strong on that line but not strong between the peaks/ripples.

Again this can probably be achieved with slope constraints but not the same.e effect of transition as it is based on slope angles, which are subtle.

Dune

I'll do some experimenting one of these days.

Dune

Here you can see there's no difference. It's all altitude based, no slopes or whatever involved in displacement to scalar.
Just render (or look) with the merge slider either left or right. Depends on some settings of course, but the principle is the same. If you really want peaks to have foam, but also the 'lower peaks' (rough areas in troughs, so to speak), you'd have to divide the altitudes of different waves first, make the masks and then combine all again. That works.

WAS

Again, there are very obvious differences. I'm sorry subtly is not obvious to you. You can tell by looking at the previews, and render. One is following displacement, one is using fuzzy zone, and does not. Displacement is not just the altitude of the wave, but it's detail. You should not be arguing this as something to use over something else, but a different method, with a different result. It's basic. Not to mention disrespectful to someones tutorial, or question asked to them.

First screenshot is from one of my files, second is yours.

They're entirely different approaches, with different results.

You're also forgetting how masks work in general based on contrast, what's brighter is more solid, and what is not, is not. We're also applying foam on no real waves, but default settings.

Agura Nata

I find the topic very interesting, I have not dealt with it, thank you for the post!
"Live and Learn!"

Dune

Think what you like, I'm stopping this discussion.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: luvsmuzik on June 07, 2018, 03:47:31 PM
I am again trying to work from this set up, found in tutorials by WASquatch.

WASquatch, can you point me to your tutorials?  I can't seem to find them.  Thanks!

Derek