Crashes and Corrupted Temp Files

Started by WAS, June 08, 2018, 03:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just a note for people, if you crash during a render you may end up with corrupted temporary files within windows user temp. I was trying to restore a old hard drive from my desktop and it went through and removed over 20 bad PNG images and TIF images from folders for /Terragen/. These can amount, like in my instance to a bad sector that needed remapping.

So if you do crash while rendering you may want to run a chkdsk /r to cleanup before files start piling up.  I wasn't aware of this and had probably 2 years worth of TG crashes and corrupted files which isn't good to carry around.

The hard drive is toast, but I doubt from TG, there was lots of Windows update files corrupted (probably crashes) that lead to a lot of remapping to the point a fresh copy of Windows 10 is triggering start up repair and going into a restart loop. My luck with being poor and second hand or hand me down hardware is always a fun tale.

jaf

Were you using a file recovery program like Recuva?  Most of those apps will attempt to recover deleted files, which the win/temp areas would have plenty -- and plenty will be trashed by being over-written.  But maybe I not understanding how you were attempting to recover the files.

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

WAS

Quote from: jaf on June 08, 2018, 02:14:14 PM
Were you using a file recovery program like Recuva?  Most of those apps will attempt to recover deleted files, which the win/temp areas would have plenty -- and plenty will be trashed by being over-written.  But maybe I not understanding how you were attempting to recover the files.

Oh no, this is chkdsk, which finds bad clusters (the bits of files). 

This was true with temp files on another HDD that used TG that I had to use to get this computer online, however this one did not have bad sectors luckily.

This is common with any file open with read-write privileges if a crash happens, it'll likely corrupt parts if not all of the file. For example my sons tablet that I put movies on, conveniently corrupts every movie it's playing when the battery dies -_-

This is the exact reason my media external TB is set to read only unless I'm putting movies or content on it.