Cabin on the Hill

Started by Lady of the Lake, June 08, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady of the Lake

Thanks for taking a look.  Ash tree and flowers=X-Frog; larch tree=Dandelo; shrub=Wali (I think); sorry don't know about the cabin. 

What do I put and where to get rid of the white on top of the fake stones? 

archonforest

Do you have a surface shader on the stones? If not I would try a PF with very small settings. That would give a different shape and surface.

Otherwise great start. I like it.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

J_Con

Really nice composition.When I look at an image like this what I see is.

Negative space to the lower left that draws in the viewers eye and defines scale(The Flowers.) That space is then intersected by a diagonal traveling to the top right corner(The two big shadows) which in turn is intersected by the second diagonal traveling to the top left(The two Trees).
The viewers attention cant help but be brought seamlessly to the main point of interest, the cabin.
If the composition was somewhat accidental, its a beautiful accident.

The colors seem a little washed out in that the objects don't stand out from the landscape. I think the image would benefit from more color contrast.

The rocky textures look superb and the trees also look well done.

Really nice.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Lady of the Lake on June 08, 2018, 09:57:30 AM
Thanks for taking a look.  Ash tree and flowers=X-Frog; larch tree=Dandelo; shrub=Wali (I think); sorry don't know about the cabin. 

What do I put and where to get rid of the white on top of the fake stones? 
I think the cabin is by kessiah at either shareCG or renderosity. I have it as well and am using it in a render atm ALOL...I don't like cut off tree tops ans would have adjusted the camera to get it in...it's like the top of the head cut off in photos...irritating heh heh heh, *curmudgeon mode off now*
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I agree with J_Con; composition and structures are great. A few suggestions; perhaps raise the camera a bit so, the upper hilltop is just visible and ends in upper left corner. Also, forget about the stones, but put a lush grassy (flowery) area down on lower flattish areas. Maybe a few hero stones or so, or a fallen tree trunk. That will have the very nice rougher rock structures stand out. Trees distrinution is nice this way.

Lady of the Lake

Thanks for the comments guys.  I took out the fake stones, moved the POV down to show the tops of the pines and more sky, and tweeked the contrast a bit.  Better?   I think so.
Lyla

archonforest

Wow great update!!   ;)

I am not sure about these flowers alone on this rocky surface. Imho they would not live alone like this. I would try to put lots of grass in between.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

masonspappy

Like what you've got so far. Maybe more grass (or other veggies) on the horizontal surfaces?

bobbystahr

Agree to more grasses, Dune's free pack has 10 varieties and a couple of pops of those on all below the cabin level flat areas would make the rocks really 'pop'.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

J_Con

Yeah. Much improved. The surfaces look a bit more punchy now. As mentioned above. The image would benefit from a more striking contrast between the vertical an horizontal rock surfaces. In all likelihood the horizontal surfaces would be covered in grass and soil for the most part.The dark browns in the foreground would nice on the horizontals further up the mountain, mixed with the softer browns from the mid ground. On top of that some of Dunes grasses as Bobby mentioned.

Dune

Indeed, but it's way better already. You'll make this a really good one!

luvsmuzik

I just want to walk right up there and start snooping....nice one! ;D

Lady of the Lake

Changed most everything a tiny bit.  POV, grass, added more larches.  Think I will call this one finished and move on to the next. :)  Thanks to all that gave suggestions. 

mhaze

I like this second one a lot more. Some smaller much denser grass on the flatter areas would be good.

masonspappy