Procedural fountain

Started by Dune, June 09, 2018, 09:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

:P Just fooling around with SSS's.... brass/copper is Hannes' clip. Thanks, Hannes, it looks very good.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

good stuff, the spray rocks as well...yeah Hannes is the best with that collection. That should ship with TG as far as I'm concerned.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 09, 2018, 09:07:19 AM
:P Just fooling around with SSS's.... brass/copper is Hannes' clip. Thanks, Hannes, it looks very good.

Looks like one of those art installation fountains you'd see in a European city.

J_Con

That,s quite a hardy duck. The node network looks intimidating to me but the desert and textures are awesome.

Hannes

Oh boy, that node stuff is really scary!! Great fountain. I'm glad you could use the material.

Dune

It only looks intimidating maybe, but it's fairly simple, actually.

The water is just a translucent, reflective default shader on a rock pop on a displaced plane. I tried glass but takes much longer, and I didn't want to wait. I also tried a disc to populate on, but that didn't work. Apperently you can't populate on a disc.
The SSS is a 5 angled polygon to start with.

Urantia Jerry

Hey Dune, may I ask...

You see where the Compute node is disabled, and still plugged in, but going nowhere?
I've seen this before, possibly with other nodes. 
If the node was not disabled, would Terragen still use it to process the data even though it does not connect to anything downstream?
Thank you for your reply as always - Jerry

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 11, 2018, 03:51:08 AM
It only looks intimidating maybe, but it's fairly simple, actually.

I also tried a disc to populate on, but that didn't work. Apperently you can't populate on a disc.

Odd that, I when we first got the 2 part disc I made an asteroid belt with an invisible disc populated with a rock object but that went out the window with my old computer on the break in episode. but now it won't work, go figger.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yeah, I was surprised too. I never use the disc, but I just tried and it didn't work.

@Jerry; I try not to use a compute terrain, for speed of render. It's not always needed. But throwing it out sometimes makes that pops won't attach to the planet (and float), so I just leave it as a sideline, on or off. It doesn't do a thing there.

Urantia Jerry

@Dune: Thanks for the reply.  What about other nodes, do the get processed by Terragen when they 'hang' off like that?

Thanks.

Dune

If they don't 'end', they won't, unless there's an arrow under it; then it's masking, or used as other input, somewhere else (inside a container or so).

DocCharly65

This is a quite interesting experiment. I don't understand most of the nodes but it looks as if this could be the way for animating a fountain..!? ;)

Oshyan

As far as I understand, Terragen traces the flow of data in the network *backward*. So it looks at the end shaders, which themselves "query" any shaders that are connected to their inputs, which then flows "back" through the network. So if something is not connected to any kind of renderable element, e.g an object, surface, atmosphere, etc., then it shouldn't be calculated. It's still ideal to clean up node networks of unused nodes though.

- Oshyan