Gravel Shaders WIP

Started by WAS, June 15, 2018, 05:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Thanks for the feedback! I have been trying to work on "elements" I'll end up using in scenes. I notice I'll often make a scene and than struggle with surface shaders with everything else going on.

otakar

Great! It's this kind of detail that often makes a difference in the realism created in a scene. And such stuff is also very time consuming to come up with, which is why it makes sense to have snippets like this saved up in a library, which eventually can be used to 'quickly' put together something. I wish it were easier to manage though in the UI, I am still struggling with complex node networks, no matter how well you group them and label them. The whole thing becomes a mess when you add a few nodes via the menus and dialogs and having to constantly organize the network is not fun.

Thanks for sharing your work.

WAS

Quote from: otakar on June 19, 2018, 01:36:55 PM
Great! It's this kind of detail that often makes a difference in the realism created in a scene. And such stuff is also very time consuming to come up with, which is why it makes sense to have snippets like this saved up in a library, which eventually can be used to 'quickly' put together something. I wish it were easier to manage though in the UI, I am still struggling with complex node networks, no matter how well you group them and label them. The whole thing becomes a mess when you add a few nodes via the menus and dialogs and having to constantly organize the network is not fun.

Thanks for sharing your work.

In I believe 6 years of using Terragen, I have never, ever, once, used those menus. They're not intuitive and yes, destroy the node network. I find it odd people advise to use them considering how slow it is compared to a right click, not to mention, when I right click, the shader goes where I click.

luvsmuzik

Going to be a standard addition to my scences, I like how this is flexible and can be added to a default terrain fractal. I have not tried adding object populations for vegetation yet, but that should not be a problem. Flexed the colors on your set up just a tad, but I like the slight contrast. THANKS  again!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on June 19, 2018, 03:41:15 PM
Going to be a standard addition to my scences, I like how this is flexible and can be added to a default terrain fractal. I have not tried adding object populations for vegetation yet, but that should not be a problem. Flexed the colors on your set up just a tad, but I like the slight contrast. THANKS  again!

I like the rich soil color, contrasts nicely with the rocks. I'll be honest I was modeling off a gravel road in the park I am at and it's rather beat up and has years of settled dust making it rather plain colour wise.