Lateral Displacement On Small Scales

Started by WAS, June 16, 2018, 02:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm having issues doing displacement at super small scales (like the walls of voronoi cracks). But I'm having issues getting anything to show up. either there seems to be no displacement, or I get jagged stretches random parts (or whole thing). I've been playing around with patch sized like 0.01-0.1 and different displacements and noises on lateral but just nothing like you can effortlessly on normal scales.

Oshyan

Depending on how small you're talking about, it may be a baseline shading limitation. Below something like 0.001 I believe it is problematic.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 16, 2018, 09:28:39 PM
Depending on how small you're talking about, it may be a baseline shading limitation. Below something like 0.001 I believe it is problematic.

- Oshyan

I think this should be above this scale. The cracks themselves are at 0.2 scale, and the scale used for lateral displacement was 0.024 and 0.05 lead-in. Just don't want sheer straight lined crack walls if not smooth. Just seems too "It's jagged displacement".

Oshyan

Perhaps the displacement amplitude/strength/multiplier is too high then. For such relatively small scales, your displacement amplitude should be smaller still, i.e. if you have a general features size around 0.2m, you want the displacement *out* from the surface (amplitude) to be a lot less than that, at least half, possibly even smaller.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 17, 2018, 08:51:01 PM
Perhaps the displacement amplitude/strength/multiplier is too high then. For such relatively small scales, your displacement amplitude should be smaller still, i.e. if you have a general features size around 0.2m, you want the displacement *out* from the surface (amplitude) to be a lot less than that, at least half, possibly even smaller.

- Oshyan

Amplitude on the lateral displacement was 0.0075, which along normal gives us the details of the mud cracks on the surface which is only slightly less displacement at 0.0035. When I was playing with displacement, getting around 0.2 scales would case stretched exploding to appear on lateral before displacement. It's almost like the displacement is not "caught" until it's too extreme.