Invisible Scalar Mask Breakup within Surface Layer

Started by WAS, June 17, 2018, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm having issues masking in my cracks using a simple mask. I'm not sure if it's the small ~0.2 scale of the cracks or what but the colour map, comes through with spots in the render, and the spots can be seen in the 2D preview of the layer mask, but are not present in the colour map PFs. Additionally, the crack floor colours vanishes all together in the Surface Layer while it's broken up all over the surface layer. Even more interestingly, the cracks map seems to work fine for the crack floor displacement mask. Seems to be an issue inside the surface layer.

There are no settings on the surface layer, breakup is turned off, and just colour set to 1. The colour mask map created from the scalar is solid, shows no breakup, and is clamped.

WAS

Culprit seems to be masking the crack floor shader... while it works in the render, for only really displacing the crack floor, it seems to NOT be following the crack floor as far as colour breakup. This while colour is being completely masked, is still showing up in the following surface layer. Unsure why it's not obeying the colour adjust mask like in every other instance. Or why it breaks colours in surface layers even if set for full coverage.

Edit: I rebuilt the whole mask setup based on the original voronoi noises, instead of displacement to scalar, and the same issue is present, and cannot mask in the cracks for colour texturing (Screenshot_40)...

Oshyan

So this also does not work *in renders*? The previews are approximations by definition, mostly decent ones, but they may not be ideal for some extreme cases. I know you mentioned render above but since you only showed previews (as far as I can see), I wanted to be sure.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 17, 2018, 08:52:50 PM
So this also does not work *in renders*? The previews are approximations by definition, mostly decent ones, but they may not be ideal for some extreme cases. I know you mentioned render above but since you only showed previews (as far as I can see), I wanted to be sure.

- Oshyan

Yes, same effect is translated to renders. If you look at my post in support I narrowed down it's odd behavior to the smooth filter. Without the filter, I can warp, and have correct colouring. For some reason it's like the smooth filter masks out all the colour down to a solid and any overlaying colours get warped really roughly, similar to using extremely high scales of displacement (things get specky), but seem to be warped independently (maybe noise scales)

In the first sreenshot the speckles on the colour is the dots that show through. In the second image, when I used the original voronoi noise instead of disp to scalar, it still didn't mask in the crack floors (colour them dark) but effected the edges of the raised displacement interestingly. 

I use the smooth filter, especially on redirects to smooth the inconsistencies between alternating directions. It works great on displacement and clouds. this is my first time applying colour to displacement warped by it.

Oshyan

OK. I'll have to have Matt look at this because I don't know if it's unexpected behavior given how the Smoothing Filter Shader works.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 17, 2018, 10:40:42 PM
OK. I'll have to have Matt look at this because I don't know if it's unexpected behavior given how the Smoothing Filter Shader works.

- Oshyan

I had the same thought.