gradual transparency method

Started by Dune, June 18, 2018, 08:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I thought this was the way to make a gradual transparency. Glass shader followed by a surface shader masked by a greyscale texture, as texture on card. I added a firetexture (color) to the luminosity input.
But I get a strange background, so this might not work at all. It was even worse when adding a second card for smoke, done the same way. I tried several variables in the glass shader, but to no avail.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as always.

My aim was to add flames to the logs. Clouds are too 'rough' for these tiny sizes.

Hetzen

Dune

Yeah, that would be the fastest and easiest way  :P And I think I will actually.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 18, 2018, 08:39:15 AM
I thought this was the way to make a gradual transparency. Glass shader followed by a surface shader masked by a greyscale texture, as texture on card. I added a firetexture (color) to the luminosity input.
But I get a strange background, so this might not work at all. It was even worse when adding a second card for smoke, done the same way. I tried several variables in the glass shader, but to no avail.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as always.

My aim was to add flames to the logs. Clouds are too 'rough' for these tiny sizes.
my fire pit flames we're only 1.5 feet long. It can be done with clouds. The cloud jitter breakups clouds on small scale.

j meyer

Shouldn't the glass shader be connected to the child input to work properly?
And there may still be the 'AO behind transparent surfaces' problem in TG4.

Dune

I'll try both, but painting in is what I've done now. Thanks.

mhaze

When, oh when, will be get true grey scale transparency?

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on June 19, 2018, 04:22:06 AM
When, oh when, will be get true grey scale transparency?

Hear Hear...seems like a no brainer from all the other apps it's in
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

I guess, this is basically the same method you mentioned once before when I tried to create fake motion blurred rotors for a helicopter during the roadside contest, right?
This worked for me perfectly for creating cigarette smoke for my "To B in the living room" image for example. No idea, why this doesn't work here. Did you increase the ray detail multiplier?

Just in case I attached the setup you showed me at the time.

Dune

Thanks Hannes. Yes, that's the way I thought it worked, but apparently not this time  :P Maybe the luminosity (from another mask) is playing havoc. With just a basic color in the surface shader it might work as expected. And I didn't increase it, no. I'll have another go, just for the sake of it.

Hannes

I'll think you'll have to increase it, because otherwise everything behind the (glass-) plane might look pixellated. Maybe that's one of the reasons?

Hannes

... and you might play with the IOR.

Dune

Yeah, but IOR is already at 1.

Matt

It seems to be affecting just the terrain. Anything unusual with advanced render subdiv settings?

Can you simplify the scene so it demonstrates just this issue, with only the terrain, fire and light sources?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Yes, it does. And no fancy settings there. I'll do a simple setup.....