Dawn

Started by mhaze, June 18, 2018, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

This one has been a struggle but I've learnt a lot as a result.  eroded terrain and rivers curtesy of Danii's classic erosion.  Used TU's classic method to get the clouds to follow the terrain - 3 instances of them!

archonforest

Big like!! Very nice!
The only one little thing I do not like that much is the dark clouds on the left. White-ish/ gray-ish with less density perhaps. Well this is only IMHO.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Love the detail here. The atmosphere and lighting look really nice.

Dune

Lots happening here, very nice render. What struck me is that you have a certain recognizable style. I had to look twice to the river, though. Maybe a tad more density color would make it stand out better as water. And I agree that you can do without the grey cloud. And I can't really tell, but the water seems on a slight angle (left to right) where the back stream enters the front stream. But it's all nitpicking  ;)

mhaze

Thanks All,

Dune, every time I restart TG and run Danii's classic erosion I get a slightly different result and some times the stream beds are slightly tilted and as they drive the water surface masks, they some times tilt. I have been able to compensate a little by adding some positive displacement. In this case though the water is flat and it's the angle of the foam that creates the illusion(I think). Another issue is that masks  from the erosion filter cannot be adjusted for width very much, exported maps would be handy.  The cloud is a matter of taste, in my years photographing the dawn I saw many strange clouds! and I like the sense of darkness receding from the light the dark cloud gives. Stream water is usually this transparent only becoming murky further down river unless it's glacier water which green and milky.

Another annoying issue is every time I restart the the program I get different fake stones!

Dune

I understand. The latter is strange, probably due to erosion?

mhaze

Could be, when I have time I'll experiment.

ajcgi

Lovely image. Does the erosion really change every time? I've not noticed that.  ???

mhaze

Very slightly and yes, Dune, it is something to do with the erosion.

Dune

Right. Yes, if you want really consistent channels, you need to save the maps.

mhaze

How do you save the maps?

mhaze

Ok, Just found out ::)

Hannes

Great image, Mick!! The dark clouds might be a matter of taste, but imho the image would look even better without those.

Lady of the Lake

It's beautiful.  Pretty hard to criticize clouds.......they are never the same and can literally be whatever you want and still be correct.  We see some pretty weird clouds here in Texas.   ;D