Threadripper

Started by sjefen, June 30, 2018, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: SILENCER on August 03, 2018, 06:28:37 PM
We have a couple of threadripper 1950s here. They do pretty well with Terragen 4.2.
Bang for the buck, that AMD box could really be a win for the home user.

But the intel i9 7980XE machines are eclipsing them in sheer brute CPU force.
The alpine shader screams bloody murder now in 4.2 and the liquid cooled intel chip.
One of the intel boxes however, crashes like all hell on Terragen scenes. It's bizarre.

Steady wins the race...

Isn't liquid cooling a bad idea for rendering? It has a heat gradient far slower than fans, while temperatures it can hold more accurately. But like a radiator on a car, it takes time for it to catch up to temperature spikes if the fluid warms up.

I know my friends old gaming PC crashed a lot with TG and we figured it was his liquid cooling and ATX case. When the render got heavy, and CPU spiked in temp it took almost half a minute for the temp to even out (stop dropping) when the fans kicked in on the radiator. In contrast, when my fans kick on, temp responds immediately and drops to a stable range within seconds.

I'm also bias towards water cooling for this aspect. Doesn't seem rational at all to have a system respond so slowly to heat spikes. Especially water cooled GPUs, that inherently get super hot and fluctuate all over the place. Better to just have good air flow and AC environment.

Afterall, air, copper, and aluminum have far superior thermal conductivity.

SILENCER

We're rendering in Octane as well on a large array of GTX 1080 Tis
So the GPUs are also liquid cooled.
We hit these things hard all day, every day.
We'll take any advantage to keep the systems running.
Lots of hot air being blown out of the exhaust ports of these boxes, it's nuts.
Not as crazy as a real render array and a room full of Isolons. That's just bananas when you go into those rooms. You need to wear ear protection.

If you're a hobbyist, buy the AMD, keep it cool, and save some much needed dough.
If you freelance, whatever, and have real deadlines where money at reputation are at stake, have a real VFX machine built so you can sleep at night.

WAS

Quote from: SILENCER on August 04, 2018, 10:02:09 AM
We're rendering in Octane as well on a large array of GTX 1080 Tis
So the GPUs are also liquid cooled.
We hit these things hard all day, every day.
We'll take any advantage to keep the systems running.
Lots of hot air being blown out of the exhaust ports of these boxes, it's nuts.
Not as crazy as a real render array and a room full of Isolons. That's just bananas when you go into those rooms. You need to wear ear protection.

If you're a hobbyist, buy the AMD, keep it cool, and save some much needed dough.
If you freelance, whatever, and have real deadlines where money at reputation are at stake, have a real VFX machine built so you can sleep at night.

That may just be bad server Management?? Not trying to be rude but I used to  work for Redmond Ridge and they have a nice farm, and it's about 40 degrees in the room, all on force air with AC.  Course MS has lots of money to throw away.

Exhausts were sure warm but not hot, and the air being used to cool was already at a cool temp.