Textures Tests

Started by WAS, July 03, 2018, 11:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

First texture in a long time, like at least 3 years since I was working on a defunct Steam project with some people. Tree tunk is just a octahedron stretched on Y for testing with a procedural displacement to simulate what disp a tree trunk may have. Rest of the displacement is done by the textures depth map read as displacement.  Texture may need a bit of a desaturation possibly, but really depends on the condition and ecosystem the trunk is in.

How does it look?

In order for it to be not so noisy it's fine details had to be blurred and masked, which doesn't make it very practical for anything other than TG as in other 3D engines it becomes blobby (last image)

WAS

Some more textures I have been working on. First two are based on my own images. My phone of course only takes portraits, in limited resolution, which further limits the final texture resolution, and because of digital noise, needs a lot denoising and basically cartoon effects to make them work.

First one: Douglas Fir
Second: White-Cedar Cypress
Third: Gravel from royalty free stock

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

Damn fine textures, well done mate!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

NICE! Does your PS make a tilable image for you from this? Your resolution is large enough, probably not needed. Thinking of the old 64x64 tilables...hehe

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 04, 2018, 01:04:33 PM
NICE! Does your PS make a tilable image for you from this? Your resolution is large enough, probably not needed. Thinking of the old 64x64 tilables...hehe

I use Seamless Textures 2, a photoshop extension. It makes tiled and mirrored textures, which you need to spice up to make it not so "repeating".

DocCharly65

Some really great textures!
Will you do bump maps too? Sometimes it's enough for me to set the saturation to zero and increase the contrast - but I don't think that's the professional way... :)

Dune

You often need to blur it slightly too. And save as greyscale.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 06, 2018, 02:15:06 AM
Some really great textures!
Will you do bump maps too? Sometimes it's enough for me to set the saturation to zero and increase the contrast - but I don't think that's the professional way... :)

All the textures (in my library) contain diffuse, depth, normal, occlusion, and specularity, and in some cases like brick, displacement specially for TG.

For these earlier tests I merged depth and normal (bump) together. Issue with bumps is they create inverted borders to lines, since it's read differently by 3D engines, so it doesn't translate well in TG at all, even inverting the colour.

For newer textures, I'll be doing probably two depth maps, one for large displacement depth and the other for surface detail like for the brick.

MPD makes testing fine displacement a challenge as you get polygon cutouts that occur and make jagged edges. Issue with anything of fine detail I do, like fake stones.