Download Disneys data set for Motunui island from Moana

Started by René, July 05, 2018, 02:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Dune

Rumburak

René

I am now at about a third of the download of the island. I am extremely curious and I don't want to let this opportunity pass.

luvsmuzik

Thanks for this input Rene!

I skimmed the PDF read....
File seems to be meant for further Research and Development and educational use; and rendering was dependent on Disney's own. Lots of work in texture scripts for sure.
Seems they also have an in-house bonsai generator.

Wondering if the download is a pick and choose type, like named objects including textures, and do these textures convert to something doable in TG?

Dune

mhaze

They are all .json files and I have no idea how to make use of them!

ajcgi

Cheers for this! The cloud vdb is sensational. My colleague here has downloaded the island data. We might have a scoot through at some time. It's a really interesting site. Great find!

René

So this is not for dummies, I guess. It was also too good to be true. :-[ I really would have liked to explore how they go about it.
My download has also stopped halfway through. I'm going to try again during the night if there is still any point to it. In any case, I'm glad that it might be of use to you, ajcgi.
.json files mean nothing to me, I even had to look up what they are. If I understand it correctly, the download should also include .obj files.

Geometry and texture format
All geometry is represented in the Wavefront OBJ file format, which was chosen for its
widespread use. All surfaces are Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces, so each OBJ file contains
a quad-mesh representing the control cage for the subdivision surface. We do not use any
creases. We generally interact with subdivided meshes at a level that is representative of the
authored shape, and, at render time, subdivide further.

island/json​ -
This directory contains json files that include all the data needed to define the
lights, cameras and elements in the scene. Each element has its own subdirectory that includes
both a main file with all instances and transforms and a separate file with the materials
associated with that element. The json-based material files include the full brdf definition as well
as the original bindings.

island/obj​ -
This directory contains the object files which define the geometry for each element.
For each element there is a subdirectory which contains a standard .obj file for the object, a
corresponding material binding .mtl file, and a json-based .hier file. More information on the
usage of these files can be found below under "Details and caveats".

KlausK

here`s what`s inside the island-basepackage_1 archive. Size of the extracted archive is 66.6 GB
CHeers, Klaus

ps: I know, I should be "forever grateful"  that they make this stuff available but, with a bit of thought who else might be interested to take a peak into the files they could have made it more accessible regarding download size, imo. Like splitting the archive into smaller chunks, for example. BE SAFE - use a download manager software! ;)
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

mhaze

Interesting I didn't get the .obj files I'll try again.

jaf

This video made by Lightwave plug-in developer Oliver Hotz (this guy is brilliant) gives a really good description of the Disney data set.  Maybe we could all chip in and get him to start developing TG plugins.  :D

Video Link: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/278814297
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02