View from a hobbit hole

Started by DocCharly65, July 06, 2018, 01:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

It's quite a long time since I did something new. I always had to vary views frome scenes in my film I had already done. But one tribute was still completely missing: LoR ;)

This is a first test if my new model from Turbosquid works. I had much work to do to reduce the original 90MB fbx-Model into a usable Terragen-size But I think it worked:

[attachimg=1]

Hobbit House including some interior by Agustin Pagliaro on TurboSquid
Foreground grass by Walli (the big groundcover bundle was on sale some time ago)
Most other plants by XFrog
For the grass in the far I played around with dandelO s fractal grass shader

The whole idea began when I found a kind of similarity here:

[attach=2]  [attach=3]

...and of course I'll have to do something about that :)

Dune

Great. Good lighting too. It looks like a ufo from the object image, so I guess it'll take off in your movie  ::) Maybe just after someone just stepped out....

DocCharly65

Oh dear, you gave me a new idea again, Ulco... always the same with you! ;D ;D

The poseray picture is a rear view of the top of the enterprise. Would be funny if a scene starts with the Enterprise buried in the mountain and the starting... But all the dirt durst and earthmoving effects would be too much for me... But how often did I say this... ;)

But the plan is a combination of animated surface-merging and fading so that you get a clever crossfade between the Hobbit hole to the flying Enterprise:

[attach=1]   [attach=2]

The picture on the left is NOT a render. It's a picture from the original Hobbithole in Lord of the Rings ;)
As well as the outside Hobbit hole in the first post :)

Dune

:-X (from now on)
Animated merging of 2 states of the terrain would work; one with the thing buried, the other a huge hole in its place. Animated pops of rock can do the dust and rocks falling.... but I don't want your ETA set 5 years later again....  ;)
And I recognized the photo's.

WAS

Looks cool. Also knew that was a Federation ship in first post. Lol

DocCharly65

Ulco as you know I meanwhile gave up any ETA ;)
As you perfectly noted once ago: The journey is the destination :)
But starting the Enterprise from inside the hill would unfortunately really not fit into the movie storyline.  :'( A pity  - because the thought is so cool :)

And thank you WASasquatch :)

Dune

Maybe a baby Enterprise as a joke, lifting from a mole heap alongside some road.....

DocCharly65

;D nice idea, Ulco  :)

Meanwile after some changes it looks closer to what I want:
Yesterday I found the "Deck Chair - Red - Weathered" by polygon-playground on cgtrader and was immedeately in love ... :)
I exchanged all the identical cottages by a Medieval village (free) by emelnikov on Turbosquid
I added some of Chris' moss and some xFrog groundcover between the stones.
Most important - I didn't like the first version of the cliffs in the backgound - I like the new ones more.
The window glasses don't throw shadows any more and are slightly tinted now.
Last but not least I added an old cart, I found in my library, some more xFrog trees in the background  and here we go:

Frame 001 of 250:
[attach=1]

Frame 250 of 250:
[attach=2]

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

I really like where you've taken this and even though I have that hobbit house I think I was trying it as an interior to work on indoor lighting and never thought to open the door and have a look around...it's a great PoV...keep on tweaking....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Looks really nice. Love the lighting outside. Though I do feel the internal TG bloom isn't a good fit as it ends up hazy. You may get better effects with a custom bloom in post like AE that's isolated to the bright areas with levels and gaussian blur.

Even something super simple like levels 45 - 0.45 - 255 and a guassian of 35 pixels. Example for feel (nevermind the jpeg destruction)

Oshyan

TG's bloom *is* isolated to bright areas. The "glow everywhere" can be created with settings adjustment, which seems to be an effect the Doc likes. It's not always to my taste, but the "dreamy" look is a commonly loved thing I think. :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on July 08, 2018, 12:17:59 AM
TG's bloom *is* isolated to bright areas. The "glow everywhere" can be created with settings adjustment, which seems to be an effect the Doc likes. It's not always to my taste, but the "dreamy" look is a commonly loved thing I think. :D

- Oshyan

I've noticed, you enabled bloom, set to 0.1, and you always get an overall haze. Not sure what you're talking about. It's not isolated to true brights and incorporates mid-tones.

Dune