Object Surfaces

Started by WAS, July 06, 2018, 01:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

It'd be cool if internal TG objects had "Faces" and those faces could be applied other objects or shaders on that specific face to build from. With the cube, octahedron, and stuff, I could create buildings/temples which would be cool. Even further I could create a wall with my brick texture, and than place an array of "cubes" on top to make it look like a medieval wall.

luvsmuzik

I sort of agree on a few of these points. I would like to see the object populator incorporate array (and maybe it does in a way I do not comprehend). Luc Bianco's field of heather is an example that comes to mind. object spacing at exact ratio. I have tried with limited success to set an object population in a row/column of 1, with repeating instances spaced at intervals. Your idea of a wall is doable in similar fashion, but a very tedious process, guess work (for me) and not really precise measure imo.

Ulco made a procedural fountain with his expertise,  so I suppose anything is possible. :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 07, 2018, 08:47:29 AM
I sort of agree on a few of these points. I would like to see the object populator incorporate array (and maybe it does in a way I do not comprehend). Luc Bianco's field of heather is an example that comes to mind. object spacing at exact ratio. I have tried with limited success to set an object population in a row/column of 1, with repeating instances spaced at intervals. Your idea of a wall is doable in similar fashion, but a very tedious process, guess work (for me) and not really precise measure imo.

Ulco made a procedural fountain with his expertise,  so I suppose anything is possible. :)

I'm assuming a image map or function map is used to create a mask with fine points. But I don't think populations can ever be exact because of their internal seed and variation.

Dune

Strange (or maybe not) thing is that if you float your pop a single line with equal distances is possible, as soon as you put it on earth the single line is broken.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 08, 2018, 02:01:34 AM
Strange (or maybe not) thing is that if you float your pop a single line with equal distances is possible, as soon as you put it on earth the single line is broken.

Oh weird, that's interesting. Going to have to test this. :D

bobbystahr

Can't remember how atm but I've made a couple of reasonable grain fields so it's possible.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist